Set to rest

The Christmas party is happily over - for me at least. The auctions are run -- not the success I might have hoped, but still fairly good considering that 8 of the 19 didn't sell. I might relist them, I'm not sure and I'm not going to decide this moment.

These parties are of no use to me -- they're supposed to be fun, but through my own social deficiencies I don't enjoy them. They remain an ordeal to me.

I should have weaseled my way out of going once it was established that the bonuses were coming at a later date. Staying home would have been a far more enjoyable time for me, and I will be keeping that in mind if I'm still working at the same place next year.

The event is very well-intentioned, and nearly everyone else appeared to be having a good time, but it's not for me. I'd eat better at home - I can make chicken flavorful, not serve it in thick slabs of tasteless white meat coated in a suspect sauce I ended up mopping up with a napkin - and be more relaxed doing it. I'd have proper amounts of meal-appropriate drink (something non-alcoholic, because alcohol-bearing drinks do a lousy job hydrating a person -- alcoholic drinks are a side-item) in glasses meant for someone larger than a small Hobbit.

Oh, well. That's over with.

I need something to drink.

All of the ebay invoices have been sent, two have already been paid. With luck the rest will pay on Sunday and I can get all these run down to the post office on Monday.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, Michael, socializing with your fellow drones can be a bear, but when I find myself in a situation like that, I play the Have Fun or Die game. Take that opportunity to find out more about one or two of your stranger co-workers. Talk to them, weasel secrets from them. Collect blackmail if you can. Be mildly evil, yet ruthlessly casual in your collection of evidence from your socially lubricated (TM pending) co-employees.

Mike Leuszler
Openmike.blog-city.com
ruthless bastard
Anonymous said…
This time of year may not be the best to sell things, unless they are mint in or on packaging.

Seeing as I didn't make it to your auctions, I don't know if you items were mint in or on blah blah.

Sorry I didn't make it. Next time, give me more warning. I'll even spread the word for ya, unless you're selling Clix that I savor.

Hee Hee

Mike Leuszler
Ruthless Bastard
Openmike.blog-city.com
Ruth was my grandmother. What did you think I meant?
Mike Norton said…
I'm simply not one for constrained socializing most of the time. Would I be happier were I more gregarious? Probably. I'm not, though, and I don't want to put the effort into creating that persona shell.

I had clix - REV sets and some uniques, all from Armor Wars aside from a Mechwarrior convention exclusive in its box.

There are as many sets of advice on selling as there are people selling on ebay, and to be frank most of the ones about best and worst times of the year to sell are hot air. Any of the power sellers I've corresponded with have generally gone by the rule of simply just plugging away. There are some times, when the market for a product os particularly narrow, that it's a worse time to sell than others, but in a global marketplace that's less of an issue.

As for right now? I could just as easily argue that it's a great time to sell because people know there's enough time to buy and receive the items well before the holidays. Some are buying things for others, some are buying things for themselves. Probably the biggest flaw in my selling strategy has been my not embracing the Buy It Now approach, as that's likely to go especially well this time of year. So many people are surfing while at work and are susceptible to impulse buys - often feeling as if they're rewarding themselves for their time in Purgatory. Some will bid then, sure, but if they can get in and out with a clean, definitive buy, they'll be more inclined to do it. It could easily have been the case that had I run these as Buy It Now items one or more bidders would have come across them and decided on the spur of the moment to complete their sets in a sudden purchase. One never knows unless it happens.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes