Big, hairy feet. Alka Seltzer. Visine. Adult Diapers optional, but suggested. At the Alamo Downtdown in Austin TX, yesterday they held a special event: The Hobbit Feast . Exective chef John Bullington has created a seven meal feast, one for each of the different hobbit mealtimes (1st breakfast, 2nd breakfast, elevensies, etc.), spread out over the twelve hours it takes to watch the entire middle earth trilogy. Interpreted from actual meals referenced in the books, the Hobbit Feast is the ultimate Lord of the Rings sensory experience. These seven meals accompany a screening of the three Lord of the Rings films, spaced with 30 minute breaks between them, including the credits. Okay, so this already happened, as it was a Saturday event, but maybe they'll do it again. I got very little sleep Saturday morning and ran out of time to swing by here and do any posting -- including bits of trivia such as this. I'd be a little afraid of the crowd that would show up for something like th...
Popular posts from this blog
Flight Down Memory Lane [Categories: comic book fanzine, collection] Late in 1989 I started a comics fanzine called Comic Book Crossroads . As was the nature of such things, it never achieved a regular schedule, and barely spanned six years and twenty issues before I more or less officially shut it down in 1995. I'd had fun with much of it, but regardless of how many months passed between issues it was always slap-dash in the end. All cuts and pastes were physical ones, and the work presented within was... uneven, shall we say. We had some talented contributors and some stalwart ones, and even a few who were both. We also managed to have Wonder Woman on 20% of the covers in the run, though I don't recall any conscious attempt at cheesecake covers. Seen here on the right is a shot of Spidey done by Mark Lester , for the cover of issue #8. Crypt Leak took his complete run of the series, scanned it and installed it all over on its own domain: Comicbookcrossroads.com . At the to...
I came home a short time ago from seeing V for Vendetta , a film based on a 1980s story written and illustrated by Alan Moore and David Lloyd . Set in a bleak, relatively near-future where a totalitarian Great Britain has come about due to a governmentally-created and sustained climate of fear. The government's darkest secrets from the dark days when it took power and purged the nation of "undesirables" have been personified and come back to take it down, and he's wearing a Guy Fawkes mask. I expect that critics will largely pan or dismiss the film, be it out of their own sense of self-importance, the connection to the Wachowski brothers pushing their Matrix buttons, their politics being too Conservative to give the film's message any positive nod or their thin blood leaving them too weak to risk being accused of supporting or allowing any justification for terrorism. The "with us or against us", Right vs Wrong, "our enemies are madmen" atti...
Comments