The latest wave of plastic crack


I finally got to open my Ultimates case of Heroclix Thursday night. Though not initially feeling a great swell of enthusiasm for this set, I'm a sucker for these comics-themed gamepieces. So, with the next set not due until November (that'll be Mutant Mayhem, and I placed my order for that back on June 24th, btw) I let my early order - made back in March - stand.

Based on earlier expansions I'd every reason to expect that with a Wednesday release I wouldn't see my case until the following Monday. However, they started moving their orders out early, so the case arrived Thursday. While I wasn't able to get to it until late Thursday night, it was yet another nice prize awaiting me at the end of my short-but-thick workweek.

The case was a fairly good mix, and I was generally pleased. I did pull two boosters containing only 3 clix, though, which several others had reported, too. It seems I'll be able to get WizKids to come through with a couple figs to approximate the missing ones, but that remains to be seen.

I pulled 8 uniques, the expected number, but which was something I was getting apprehensive about considering the reports of only 7 or even 5 reported by some early case-openers.

What did I get? Xorn, Baron Zemo x 2, Carnage x 2, Iron Man, Magneto, and Thor. As I'd already gotten a Phoenix (Rachel Summers this time) during a pre-release tournament I'd taken a sanity break for back on the 19th, this meant I had some away with most of the ones I wanted. Thor and Iron Man, while unfortunately sculpted in the fashion of the Ultimates versions, sport excellent dials and will be worked onto Avengers teams by me. I'll probably swap their sculpts for the mainstream Marvel ones most of the time I play them, geek that I am. Similarly, in terms of improved playability, this set sees versions of Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow that are varying degrees of improvement over their earlier clix versions.

Certainly, I'd have preferred Hulk and Vindicator instead of the extra Zemo and Carnage, but I’m pleased with my assortment and should be able to arrange a trade of some sort. As it stands (among the uniques) I’m only missing Vindicator, Mr. Sinister, Crimson Cowl, Goblin Queen and Hulk, and if I don’t happen to get the middle three it will hardly haunt my dreams.

The case was reasonably well-distributed, without an excessive amount of low-level duplicates. Combining the REV of each I have 10 Morlocks, 5 Hellfire Guards, 8 Scourge (most of them vets), and 9 Sentinel Troopers; very comfortable levels. I pulled several REVs, but am still lacking 10 from the non-uniques:
Experienced: Sabretooth, Doctor Octopus and Captain Britain.
Veterans: Black Widow, Beast, Wolverine, Electro, Cyclops, Doctor Octopus and Captain Britain

That's still a chunk of trading for me to do, but it shouldn't present too much of a chore.

Individual figure I pulled the most of? Veteran Hawkeye! I pulled 6 of him. That makes me feel much better about the experienced and vet pieces I’m missing, as this should make for easy trades. I’m waiting to see what two friends pull before I start scouting generally for trades. There's hardly a hurry.

Tonight I should actually have some time to give them all a closer look.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes