Dark Comics?

It's the 1980s miracle comics formula made new again! Word's come from Warner Bros. that they're ignoring Superman Returns in favor of a reboot, and that their iffy slate of film projects involving their various heroes will all be taking a page from the dark, brooding elements of The Dark Knight.

As I contemplate this turn, I wonder how far they'll take it and how quickly this will burn through the genre. We've seen this path in the comics, those of us who came through the medium during the eighties, and trying to apply it left and right will eventually result in a sort of stylistic backlash. Along the way it can devolve into the awful, apparently unintentional self-parody that readers of Frank Miller's All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder have seen. (Not only do I point you to this excellent piece from a couple years back, but I'm delighted to be able to point you to the hilarious follow-up, the latter being something I'd somehow not seen until today.

Frank Miller is either truly insane or he's the under-appreciated comedy star of the 21st century. Okay, he could be both, though it's likely that the latter is unintentional. The people I worry about are those who read those comics with a straight face.

Comments

Unknown said…
What?

What?

Superman is still a dick, but the goddamn Batman is gut buster... Really- my sides hurt. Thanks a lot.

You bastard!
You bastard.
I hate your guts.

I hate your guts.
You make me sick.

You make me sick.
Mike Norton said…
Miller's not only left the station he's left the tracks. My lingering question is whether this happened all in a stroke (could be something there...) or gradually.

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need