Well, hey. We did it.

The calculation of the precise sweep of the win is still in progress - as of this writing Missouri and North Carolina are still too close to call, and there are still some congressional spots in play - but this is our best, brightest shot in what at least feels like forever. (As of this morning, the race in Missouri has McCain ahead by a little less than 6,000 votes, while in North Carolina Obama's ahead by over 12,000 votes.)

Thoughts of a McCain-Palin administration were so absolutely horrifying that I don't know whether I would have been able to accept them if that had come to pass. Not being sure how many of the millions who voted for McCain were either hoodwinked, railroaded with scare tactics or single-issue "values voters"... OR were actually fully on board disturbs me. I'm not surprised, just unsettled by it.

After the increasingly odious campaign waged by the McCain people and some of their supporters I'm not yet sure how much of McCain's concession speech was endgame manipulation and how much was what I'm hoping for -- that Senator McCain, freed forever of the mission of becoming President McCain, is in the process of becoming himself again. I truly hope that the man of integrity and a mission of service to his country has managed to stay alive under the horrible facade of Candidate McCain he's been encrusted with for the past two years. We'll see what happens when the word comes through on new tax policies and anything to do with Choice issues, I suppose.

My eldest son voted in this, his first election. An election his friends were all excited about -- those who were old enough to vote did, and those just under the mark lamented their inability to join in. They've acted and seen that action follow through - as have many millions who voted for the first time or the first time in a long time this election. Had the race somehow gone differently I despair that we would have lost most of those folks from the process, perhaps forever.

Time for me to scoot into my day.

(End of post.)

Comments

Dwight Williams said…
Congratulations, and the best of luck and wisdom to you all, Mike.
Mike Norton said…
Thanks, Dwight.

It's going to present some difficulties, but this is the first time I've felt any optimism for the U.S., almost for as long as I can remember. I look forward to a way out of the dark age we've been in since 2001.
SuperWife said…
The first presidential election for my eldest, and she was so very excited, as well. My #2 kid turns 18 in about a month and I cannot tell you how disappointed she was that she did not have the opportunity to participate fully. Your note about your kids really hit home. It's my reality, too.
Mike Norton said…
Here's hoping the coming administration keeps the positive experience going so there's a sense of impact for the vote, and a sense of ownership for the administration.

We're going to need these voters especially come the mid-term elections.
Anonymous said…
I wasn't hoodwinked, and I did not give in to scare tactics. I'm glad that McCain found himself during this year (and changed to a wiser position on issues, such as supporting the Bush middle-class tax cuts).

Because I was informed on the issues, I voted McCain-Palin.
Mike Norton said…
If it truly is a case of McCain "finding himself" in this election cycle then it's a sad, sad end for a once-respectable public servant. I'm continuing to hope that what we saw was a terrible make-over by the would-be kingmakers he'd turned himself over to, and much as most of us passed through embarrassing fashion trends in clothing and hair somewhere over the decades he's at least privately embarrassed by what he came to stand for.

Your closing line is hilarious, though.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes