Public Service II

Healthcare reform remains a major, major topic for me as I look at the brutal practices in this nation and cannot believe anyone is to stupid as to believe that a system with "healthcare" parasites -- insurance companies that do nothing but get between caregivers and those needing care, not only taking prodigious salaries for their people but also have to generate quarterly profits for shareholders, is in any way in the best interests of the vast majority of us. Yet, apparently millions are gullible enough to follow the lead of their favorite millionaire pundits and embrace the current system (what one friend aptly referred to as a "health insurance mafia") with patriotic fervor.

I'm somewhat annoyed by stupidity in general, but when it drags me and mine down in the process it makes me angry.

You know what a reasonably established national healthcare system that treats its citizens as, well, human beings, and not a mix of consumers and burdens -- you know, as every other modern Western power has in some form or other -- would mean for me? It would mean us owning our own home and having something resembling savings instead of being locked into renting and having a piddling 401K I'm afraid to open the quarterly statements on. No joke.

Oh, and if your impulse is to rush to tell me I should be watching cable business channels and start playing the equivalent of day trader with my meager 401K set-asides... don't bother. You're only a couple rungs above the jackass who once told me his special plan for a possible catastrophic illness was his savings. Okay, no, you're several rungs above him, and you're likely better intentioned.

Comments

Dwight Williams said…
And the critics of our system up here are going to end up dragging us into the same mess you're looking to finally escape. They deny it as often as they can, citing "European models" of mixed public-private setups.

But we all know who we live right next door to, and who stands to benefit if Canada makes the changes demanded of it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes