The Final Birthday Present

Essentially lost in the haze of this darkest April for the Nortons was that a new Heroclix set - Brave and the Bold - hit on April 14th. Flawed in execution in ways I won't bother to go into here, it nonetheless held some promise, and it was if nothing else a new set, and one timed to hit the day before my birthday. My wife pressed to make a birthday present of a case of it for me, so the order was placed.

Flash ahead to the early morning of April 5th, when so much changed irrevocably here with her sudden and unexpected death. The days that followed were a painful haze, increasingly filled with details and magnified worries as I began to grapple with the new reality, which, as is the case for us mere mortals who walk the financial edge along the abyss -- something we especially came in for with my wife's illnesses and all of the battles with the thieving "gatekeepers" of our health care system (Oh, what a friend we have in the private sector, no?) -- a matter of grubby dollars and cents.

Anyway, by that Thursday (which would have been her birthday) I'd received the shipping notice... and saw that the case would be arriving directly on my birthday. It would have been - it should have been - a happy accident, but who could honestly care at this point.

As the Super Rare pieces from the set are all Duos, and the chase pieces are rather narrow characters -- Black Lantern characters from DC's most recent sales success -- they wouldn't have been dear to me under even casual circumstances. The case pulls were good, though. As they're where all of the real monetary value in a Clix set lies, I eventually got around to setting up 3-day auctions for them on ebay late last night, along with some other pieces that were close at hand. For not being a third of the way through the auction cycle they're doing fairly well so far.

I'm not asking for anyone uninterested in the pieces to bid on them, but I thought I should at least note that I have auctions running. Most likely I'll be selling more things - Clix, comics, etc. - in the coming weeks and months.

Ah! Something else has come up here, so I have to run.

Comments

Tony Collett said…
I didn't know about your wife's passing until this post.
I'm very sorry that I missed it.
It's a cliche thing to say, but I mean it: if there's anything I can do, please let me know.
Mike Norton said…
No worries, Tony. I'd opted on the day to just post it to Facebook as that was quicker and less elaborate than a post here would likely be.

Today we're having a small memorial luncheon for her, which I have to have us ready to leave for in a bit over four hours.

So much to do. So much to adjust to. Very little will remaining do any of it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes