Subroutines

I'm sick, and I'm caught in a loop.

Before I get into that, I want to thank Abbygal and Cryptleak for, once more, having me over this past Saturday. Such time as we do it again I'll try to be in better health. Between the head cold and a huge spike in allergic reaction (I'd never felt so under assault by nature as I did while sitting out back, shortly after arriving) I was more of a passenger than a participant.

Okay, back to the rambling entry.

The "sick" part goes back over a week now. The week between July 30th (just after I was last here) and August 3 I was putting in a great deal more time at work. This was mostly due to my assistant being away on a week's vacation, so I was moving to make sure the ongoing work was finished on time and all incoming work proceeded smoothly. I'd been the solo act as lab for our company for over 10 years, but a couple years of forcing myself to delegate much of the work left me used to other routines... which I still had to cover.

I had Travis, my older son, in on Monday and Friday (on my dime) to help out, and he did a good job. I lost considerable time on Monday, though, as I was keeping plugged in with him and the week was also proving to be thick with special projects and questions that required some investigation before answering. What I didn't realize along the way that part of what I was pushing against was a sinus infection/headcold. By Friday evening I was worn down and finally paused enough to notice that I was actually sick.

While I stuck with the original plan of taking Monday and Tuesday of the following week off -- my assistant back and leaving things so that he could pick up cleanly, and making sure nothing was due until Wednesday -- I ended up coming in on Sunday for what turned out to be a full work day. I left it all in good stead, complete with a general note of what was at which stage, and post-its labeling various in-process items in the main and back sections of the lab. By the time I came back Wednesday I was pleased to see that all had been running smoothly. He'd been surprised to come in Monday and find it as neatly taken care of and everything left cleaned and wiped down, so I felt good about the job Trav had done and that I hadn't overlooked some loose ends.

During the previous stretch, I'd played quite a few games of Heroclix between the Coming of Galactus events each Saturday (just finishing up this past Saturday, the 11th) and even going to play a 999 pt JSA team at a Monday night event on July 30th. More fun than not, I did fairly well despite progressing deeper into fatigue and illness. I might play in another Monday night event next week, but there's not particular draw.

I enjoyed the extended emphasis on sealed events that these Coming of Galactus games provided, getting far more out of AVENGERS than I would have under normal circumstances. It quickly led me to realize how much more I would have enjoyed one of the much better sets, such as SUPERNOVA. Normally there's a quick, early emphasis on sealed events, and then the set quickly disappears into the mass of previously-released sets. Five, weekly sealed events forced us to take the time to really try out (either directly or via playing against) much of the set.

Looking over what we know so far I'm expecting this will be even more the case with the Starro events following the release of JUSTICE LEAGUE, because unlike the imbalancing nature of the four heralds we saw during the CoG events, the participation clix we'll be getting weeks 1-4 of the Starro event will be much more easily absorbed, being between 50 and 90 points and not having TAs as over-powering as the Power Cosmic. Since the lowest-point herald was 171 points, and their TA allowed them to be immune from Outwit and have built-in Willpower, well, you can understand how they threw off events which allowed one of them to played as if it was one of the pieces pulled from a booster.

Here we are, two weeks since the previous entry, about to step into another work week and I'm still feeling off. Tensions and worries have been constant, and that's really what has been wearing me down.

The "subroutines" header refers to the loops I'm in. Unlike a journal, this isn't a private spot -- oh, it's not as if many come by here, but it is open and available, and most of what's tasking me isn't something I can post. Some because of some potential readers, some because of others. Some I simply cannot discuss with anyone.

Many items have come to mind as topics, but I lack the energy to address them in any meaningful way, and so I decide to let them sit and most of them eventually pass. Among these is a piece I should do on healthcare reform in the US, rebounding off a reply I'd gotten from one of my Representatives in response to a note I'd sent him concerning a bill to make implementing a national healthcare system a congressional priority. It's more than I have the energy to tackle tonight, but for now I'll note that I was disappointed to see how far down the path of "by thine own bootstraps" mentality he's gone. As I will want to respond to him, though, I expect to make a topic of that sometime in the coming week.

Still, as with many of us, I'm the blundering architect of many of my own problems. Not dealing with them will only make the ones I can't do anything about all the more oppressive. It's like watching a car wreck in slow motion.

See? This is the meandering crap I've been avoiding filling space with the past two weeks.

Comments

Doc Nebula said…
Good to see something from you again, even if it is something that reflects so much obvious misery. And I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly right now.

I myself am feeling much more negative about the outside world than I generally had since the Big Move of a few years back. My life itself is fine, but I feel so limited... not just by my own inadequacies, but by a world that simply does not seem to want to in any way acknowledge or reward my very very few genuine talents.

It's extremely frustrating. My personal life is the best it's ever been, but professionally I'm not just at a dead end, but the dead end itself is at the bottom of a deep, deep pit there seems no way to climb out of. Meanwhile, all around me, it seems, people with far less talent than I are enjoying far more success than I ever will.

Ah, listen to me rant. Honestly, things are fine for me. I need to find a job, and I dread it, because it's going to be something awful that I'll hate and that won't make much money... but I'm resigned to that. Life is good otherwise, although SuperWife is sick today, and that has me worried, although she seems to be getting over it.

I hope things look up for you.
SuperWife said…
I, too, hope things look up for you soon, Mikey. Sounds like, once again, you have your hands full.

Know that we're pulling for you and that we're around if you need us.

Feel better!!
Mike Norton said…
Thanks to both of you.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes