Omni-Adds week of October 8th


     A fairly brief nod toward this past week's pair of additions to my library.
     The fourth volume (of five) of Brubaker's Captain America run, and the all-in-one collection of Peter David's run of Captain Marvel stories, following the tale of Genis-Vell, son of (Marvel's) first Captain Marvel.
     Each of these were series I only read once, as each was coming out, each with likely even less attention than I realized at the time. (Which I've been realizing again and again is true for entirely too much of my unfortunately distracted adult life.)
     The Captain America volume is 928 pages, and while I recall some of the specifics it's receded to a blur in memory. The fifth volume, wrapping up Brubaker's run with the character, will be coming out within the next month or so if memory serves.
     The Captain Marvel tome is 1400 pages, covering some sixty one issues, between his 36-issue series begun in 1999 and the 25-issue one begun in 2002. What comes quickest to mind for me when I think of this series is that Rick Jones is Genis' connection to his father, and that the gift of "cosmic awareness" seemed to do more than a little to unhinge his mind in a fashion that didn't do the same for his arguably much more disciplined father.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes