Monday Night Notes

Another busy day following another too-swift weekend. I seem to be fighting off a cold or something similar -- headache and fatigue I could have just passed off as work-related, but following a post-dinner nap the lung congestion was becoming more apparent. It could be an allergy spike since ragweed pollen's at a regional peak, or so I'm told. Either way, something's hitting me and I'm going to treat the symptoms.

Not much to say, and a few chores to get done around the house, and as I've already taken some nighttime cold medicine the clock's ticking down to when it'll start hitting me. Tuesday has to be another early-start, so all of this points to me getting to sleep early.

I'll be settling in to watch the first two parts of Spike Lee's When The Levees Broke, which has been highly praised in the articles and the radio pieces I've read and heard in the past few days. Spike has reportedly pulled together some wonderful resources and stayed almost entirely behind the camera and in the editor's booth, only rarely even having his voice in the piece, and then only to ask an occasional follow-up question.

The first two parts are on tonight, the second two tomorrow night. It'll be On Demand soon after, so I'll be able to rewatch it at will or catch any parts I miss if I fall asleep -- due to the meds and illness.

Over the weekend I stopped by Home Depot and picked up a 36" x 48" sheet of clear acrylic I'd been wanting to get for a long while. I wanted something transparent and heavy enough to securely hold a Heroclix map flat on a table and protect it. Tuesday or Wednesday night I'm aiming to try it out here at home, and I'll be taking it with me next Saturday.

Mike T. returned from a canoeing trip this weekend to find an email from his comics shop letting him know he has a 35% coupon for any gaming-related buy this upcoming Wednesday, but only for that day. So, I'm going to be getting $66.06 (taking away 35% from the $95.88 retail price, then adding PA sales tax) in his hands for then to cover a pre-order of my brick of Supernova, so that'll be set in advance for the (late) October release. I was hoping for another of these discounts to hit (I had the same break with Sinister), so I'm glad I waited a little for it.

I'm very much looking forward to this set, and while more names are being dropped to me as far as pieces in this set (The Red Ghost and his Super-Apes, a She-Hulk remake and Machine Man are among the most recently mentioned - which may do nothing for you, but they all sound fun to me) I'm avoiding anything marked as a spoiler and have been steering clear of images. That'll become tougher and tougher in the weeks ahead as info's officially released -- so far there's not even a kick-off to the set in the figure gallery -- but I'm determined to try without cutting myself off from other info.

Finding myself knowing the names of most of the pieces in the set by the time it releases, that much I can accept. Details about how each are handled, and their sculpts, that's what I'm protecting myself from. I'm hoping that they're handling the Super Apes as an REV, assigning each ape to one of those levels -- it's really the best way, though it'll mean three different sculpts for the REV, but it's by far the best solution. No one wants them to take up REV slots, trying to pile all three on a single dial would be incredibly sloppy, and I doubt anyone would be dimwitted enough to vote for an REV of each ape. The answer to that, however - for me at least - will hopefully wait until late October.

Okay... off to take care of some bits and pieces, then off to Nod.

Comments

Doc Nebula said…
Fight it off! Take echinea! Get a svitz! Play one on one basketball with Roddy McDowell! Whatever it takes, do not succumb!

If things go as plan around here, I should be ordering my case of SINISTER along about mid September. One hopes it will be here before we leave on vacation.

It seems no one has yet dropped The Big Name on you as per the upcoming SUPERNOVA roster, so that is well.

I've heard a few new things recently -- one particular figure's LE is a rather strange choice, for example -- but I know you want to keep the shields at as close to full strength as possible until the set comes out, so that's all I'll say.
Doc Nebula said…
It occurs to me, seconds later, that I probably meant to type 'Meadowlark Lemon' instead of 'Roddy McDowell'.

I'm always getting those two mixed up.
Mike Norton said…
LOL! Heh, yeah, I was wondering. Then again, given my mad basketball skillz I likely am better off playing against a dead, white guy than even the 71 year old Meadowlark, so I think you got it right the first time.

Ah! Okay, so now I'm especially happy I steered clear of a "Supernova's Big Man on Campus" thread. I almost clicked on it because I thought it was going to be speculation on Hyperion, but now I'm thinking it's someone else.

Keeping from seeing sculpts and dials is my #1 goal in this, though seeing if I can manage to avoid at least some of the names is part of the fun, too.

So far today I'm not feeling too off -- it's always so difficult to tell on a workday, though, you know?

I know the LEs will - one way or another - tick me off, so I'm definitely not going to concentrate on those much as I've tried to put Sinister's LEs aside, at least for the moment.

I haven't been digging for a release date, but I believe I saw October 25th (last Wednesday of the month) mentioned, so at this point I'm expecting Friday the 27th to be when I'll get my case, having gotten my brick that Thursday. Earlier in the month is fine with me, but that's what I believe I read somewhere.

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need