Supernova: Just about as close as I get

While steering clear of the sculpts and dials I've still been indulging myself with Boneyard's list... and he's just updated it. Unless he still has an error in there this is the full 40 slots filled - the entire set in terms of characters - presented in alphabetical order.

My comments will be in red. And any additional notes or changes in green.

CONFIRMED CHARACTERS:
Aleta/Starhawk (Defender) (One-Who-Knows LE) [So the Guardians are being given the Defenders TA, too? Okay, I can deal with that. Maybe they're one of the ones getting an alt TA card, which could help bring some flexibility to Defenders teams, too. All speculation at this point, though.]

#48-50 Ant-Man (Avenger) (Hank Pym LE) [It'll be nice to see.]

Badoon Commander/Warrior/ Guard (Skrull) [Interesting TA choice, but since they made great use of cloaking technology I suppose it's not too far off if they had to choose from an existing Marvel TA]

Binary (X-Man) (unique) [Hmm! A hopped up, spacefaring version of Carol Danvers. Could be fun.]

Bulldozer (Masters of Evil) (Joe Camp LE) [A charging brick, I'm supposing. Still, that brings the Wrecking Crew up to three members.]

Captain Mar-Vell (unique) [Unexpected! The father's back for a second try, too?]

#79-81 Captain Marvel/Photon/Legacy (Genis-Vell LE) [Knew it was coming and I'm looking forward to what might be done with him.]

Doctor Spectrum (Joe Ledger LE) [So this is the male version? Good. Nothing against the female one, but a male Doc Spectrum better fits the histories of the Squadrons Sinister and Supreme.]

Drax (Arthur Douglas LE) [Drax should make an interesting REV given the shifts in power levels, tactics and intellect.]

Graviton (unique) [Could easily be a disappointing dial, as localized control over gravity is a vague and slippery power to define in clix.]

Hyperion (King Hyperion LE) [Haven't heard much bad about him.]

Jack of Hearts (Avenger) (unique) [Appropriate.]

Jubilee (X-Men) [One of the few "eh" pieces in the set for me. I've never cared much about the character.]

Justice/Marvel Boy (Avenger) [See "Major Victory"]

Kang the Conquerer (Nathaniel Richards LE) [Whoo hoo! I was hoping we'd see him -- all the moreso as so much of the set looks like something someone came up with while flipping through Avengers Forever.]

Karnak (unique) [Aside from Exploit Weakness I'm not sure what to expect. Still, another Inhuman is welcome.]

Korvac (Power Cosmic) (unique) [I was wondering if Michael would be showing up for this cosmic get-together, and here he is.]

Kree Warrior/Captain/Colonel (Shield) [Sticking with the TA is good, as it fits their martial attitudes. Will the pieces/dials be more exciting and useful this time, though?]

Machine Man (Avenger) (unique) [Should be fun to see, and appropriately enough a unique. I'm probably more initially interested in the sculpt than the dial, as this is one Kirby created by Ditko ended up running with for a while.]

Majestrix Lilandra (Avenger) (unique) [Why would she get an Avengers TA? She doesn't, apparently. It's the X-Men TA we'd more readily expect.]

Major Victory/Vance Astro (Defender) (Vance Astronovik LE) [So Vance gets two separate REVs, one for the alternate future in which he's a freedom fighter and the other where he has his powers activated in his teens, becoming the superhero Justice?]

Mantis (Avenger) (Celestial Madonna LE) [I'm not expecting anything extraordinary, but then again considering how much Mockingbird delivered in terms of close combat action she could be extremely useful. Moreover, she was central to a large Arvengers arc. The LE reminds me once more why I hate the concept of prize-only LEs.]

Night Thrasher [Ugh. Oh, well, he's someone's favorite, I'm sure, and he could make for a nice low-level piece.]

Nocturne (X-Men) [I must confess this is one of two characters in the set I have had no contact with.]

Nova (Super Nova LE) [Looking forward to it.]

Power Princess (unique) [Okay, so since Hyperion's bringing us a Superman analogue I suppose making a point of a Wonder Woman one was eventually in line.]

Raza [Took me a moment to remember the cyborg Starjammer.]

Red Ghost (Doom) (unique) [Definitely looking forward to how this one is pulled off visually.]

Sage (X-Men) (Tessa LE) [Remember what I said about Nocturne? This is the other one.]

She-Hulk (Avenger) (Jennifer Walters Esq. LE) [Hopefully she's at least as sturdy and useful as her Clobberin' Time version.]

Shi'ar Borderer/Admiral/Warrior (Shield) [Hmm. Another martial race, so I suppose the TA mechanics fit there, too. Since they and the Kree are blood enemies, with the Shi-ar having at least temporarily conquered the Kree, giving them the same borrowed TA is almost a little cruel.]

#76-78 Silver Surfer (Norrin Radd LE) [Another one I've been holding back from looking at, and been happy to have mostly heard good things about.]

Skrull Infiltrator/Warrior/General (Skrull) [Hoping for cool and useful variations.]

Sunspot (Brotherhood/X-Men) [I'd forgotten to stop looking for him. Could be a fun sculpt. Dialwise, essentially, a brick, though.]

Super Ape Igor/Mikhlo/Pedtor (Doom) [Cool! Exactly what I'd hoped they'd do. Seeing the Doom TA on them and Red Ghost has me thinking Seth's been listening.]

Super Skrull (Skrull) (unique) [The original version was good, but I'd like to see a more active version, so good.]

Thanos (Power Cosmic) (unique) [Confirmed with the Power Cosmic, so it should be interesting. As I understood early info from Seth he's going to be in excess of 270 points. Corrected: I've been informed he's 267 points.]

Thor (Avenger) (Dr. Donald Blake LE) [One many of us are looking forward to. People will be immediately comparing him to the Ultimates version, and I'm hoping this one does the mainstream Marvel U. proud.]

Weapon Alpha/Vindicator/Guardian (Avenger) (James MacDonald Hudson LE) [I know there have been many looking for this, so original Alpha Flight teams will now be complete.]

#61-63 Vision (Avenger) (Victor Shade LE) [Another one I've been holding back from looking at despite the images and info being there for the clicking. Something to look forward to.]

Comments

Doc Nebula said…
Wow. Pretty much exactly how I feel about the list. Now I won't have to do a post on it. ;)
Mike Norton said…
Finally! A public service from me!

It does appear to be a solid set, though, with very few pieces that conceptually I don't care about. Plenty to conjure with.

It occurs to me that extra Razas (depending upon the point cost and what he brings) might even make part of a cool interplanetary horde, using them as generics. Early on Thanos recruited hordes of various aliens as an army, and he should at least visually fit right in. Come to think of it it could work for Kang, too.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up on how well the Red Ghost and Super Apes fit together numerically and play as a team.

Hmmm... 25 days until the pre-release events. I might just aim for it so I could get three boosters early. It's just six weeks and one day, but November 15th is feeling a long way off again.
Anonymous said…
Looks like Superfro posted scans of the InQuest pics on an HCR thread.

Lilandra is shown to have X-Men TA, even though her troops get SHIELD. (But, IQ is known for having a lot of misprints.)

Excited by a lot of the character choices, but I'm really pumped about getting so many generics in this set. Plus Super-Apes. They shall team up with Gorilla Grodd and Ultrahumanite! Oh, Yes! -- grey_zealot
Mike Norton said…
Thanks for the update, I'll make the Lilandra change shortly.

I'll be trying to avoid looking at the scans, but it's tough, knowing they're there.
Doc Nebula said…
I did a post on it anyway. And it's pretty spoiler free. But don't hit the link to the Inquest scans. ;)
Mike Norton said…
Duly warned!

I'd taken a quick look earlier, but I didn't really even have time to do that. Now, however...

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes