Frommmmmmmmm Spaaaaace

Advance looks at a few of the cosmic beings coming from Heroclix later this year. (edit 3/28 - slightly different angle of the Surfer added.)

The following are pics from the Vegas trade show that were passed along today. (Click on each for a much larger view.)

These are all early mock-ups, not the finished products.

Here's the repaint of Galactus, holding the new Silver Surfer LE that'll be the first of the tournament participation prizes in July's Coming of Galactus tournament run.


Here's a slightly different angle on the Surfer, though not revealing much more detail -- we really need to see it from his right side and/or from a downward angle, but in this shot it's looking a little more like the Nullifier, and the rest of what I was taking as a mini bazooka-like weapon actually just his arm, elbow and forearm held high. What confused me earlier, it seems, was the way some of the highlights/reflections off the Surfer are blue; that flash of blue at his elbow seemed connected to the blue oval up in what now appears to be his hand.


Here we have the other three heralds -- Firelord, Terrax and Stardust. Obviously they didn't have base and dial mock-ups ready, so these are perched on extra bases they had on hand from Origin pieces.


Not terrific looking in these shots, I know that these are both early pieces rushed out for the trade show, and that they tend to look much nicer in person. The most curious thing in my view remains that they decided to end the herald series with Stardust, almost certainly the herald with the smallest fan base.

Finally, here's Starro, the huge prize piece at the end of the Justice League set's tournament run in September, I believe.


The Starro in particular was reportedly a very brittle mock-up, and had to be handled carefully. As with Galactus, it looks nice but if I never happen to get one (and I suspect they'll be made available later through another means) it won't be a source of grief.

Still, Starro looks pretty impressive for a giant starfish.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for posting the pics. The new Silver Surfer sculpt, and the Firelord sculpt, look especially good. Want to bet the new Firelord comes loaded with lots and lots of Running Shot?

I'm a little aggravated at the sudden spike in Silver Surfer figs, but with the new FF movie coming out in a few months, I guess I can understand it.

Starro does look good, but for whatever reason, I just have little to no interest in these huge clix figures. The Sentinel is about as big as I want to go.
Mike Norton said…
I'm certainly hoping for a more dynamic Firelord, yeah.

The most interesting thing for me about the Surfer is trying to figure out what it is he's carrying like a weapon on his right side. Some have jumped to suggest the Ultimate Nullifier, but not only don't I recall it ever looking that much like a weapon (the Surfer even seems to be steadying himself as if he's taking aim) but how would anyone represent a weapon that can wipe out the universe?

Also, the addition of character cards and possibly special powers for each of the pieces intrigues me.

As for these huge figures, I know what you mean. I have no burning desire to have a Starro or a Galactus, so for now I'm happy that if they're going to make a competition for something that these are the pieces. I'd be happy to win them, but my eyes are not seriously on the prize, so I can just relax and enjoy the games. If they're made available for sale at the normal prices for the huge pieces ($75-85) I might go for Galactus. I have yet to really play the Spectre I picked up last year, though I very much enjoy his rules set. I have both the Dark Phoenix and Jean Grey pieces -- the Sentinel-sized ones -- and I've yet to play either one.

I do find myself thinking about picking up Fin Fang Foom -- reckless spendthrift that I am. He looks terrific.
Mike Norton said…
As noted near the top of the entry I've added a slightly different angle on the Surfer. Now it's looking much more like the Ultimate Nullifier -- or some other device that's just in his hand -- so I'm wondering what Seth's got up his sleeve.

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need