I don't handle change well

Word of a personnel change at work -- at this stage just a two-week notice from a key employee, with no immediate replacement lined up despite that being a #1 priority -- hit me by the end of that first, partial week back following the holiday.

No hard feelings, I cannot blame the person for deciding to take the offer. It's something more in a field he's interested in, and regardless of what the relative pay is (no business of mine) it's right near home for him, and especially with gas prices being what they are I can hardly fault someone for wanting to ditch a 30-ish mile each way commute that includes turnpike tolls. I dealt with that for years before finally moving us near work. Being able to ditch not only the expense and vehicular wear, but the sheer loss of time each week, well, as I've said, I'm not going to fault someone for the decision.

Still, it's an extra level of complication awaiting me as I head back in towards Monday and the first full work week of 2008.

I'm tired already.

Comments

Doc Nebula said…
KILL without mercy! KILL without pleasure! KILL without LET or HINdrance!

Er... well, no, don't do that. But it was fun to type.
SuperWife said…
Lab assistant? I'm hoping not. While the workload still seems to be pretty hefty, I've gotten the impression he's helped.

If it IS him, good luck replacing him quickly. I know you won't look forward to any part of that, but I'll hope for an easy and quick transition that is beneficial for you.
Mike Norton said…
Lab assistant, yes.

Happily, my first choice of people already with the company -- someone who should work well in this spot and who's been slowly withering in his current assignment -- happily accepted. We'll begin the training/transition next Monday as he works with me and my outgoing assistant to get up to basic speed.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes