Perhaps I'm still too easily amused...

I know this isn't breaking news to anyone who cared, but I find it funny (and very much in keeping with the series' creators, who obviously couldn't pass up the joke) that the folks behind South Park have decided to release a themed DVD, featuring "The Passion of the Jew" - an episode centered on the impact of Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ - on August 31st, the same day that Gibson's film is released on home video. The other two episodes on the South Park disc involve Cartman's venture into Christian Rock and the priest pedophilia scandals. I'm not expecting to see a glowing write-up in the Catholic Standard & Times, are you? (No, there's nothing there yet -- but I'll be curious to see whether it'll come up.)
While most fans of the show are aiming to wait for each of these episodes to come out as part of boxed season sets, I'll be interested to see how well they do on the impulse market... not to mention which, if any, stores will dare to market them near each other come the 31st.
I'd forgotten to mention even earlier news, that with seven seasons under its belt the show is headed for syndication. As I roll random episodes over in my head, I'm baffled as to how to even begin bowdlerizing most of the episodes so as to still present coherent stories. Substituting bits of dialogue should be relatively easy (however ridiculous) but some of the episodes would appear to be beyond redemption as far as the mainstream is concerned. These won't be rolling out until fall of 2005, but I'd love to get some candid views from creators Matt and Trey as they watch the softening process at work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need