Screams of fanboy fiscal terror?

Okay, no, I'm not going to go overboard with this, but I figured I'd note it.

While they're being cagey about it, muffling info that's leaked, it seems all but certain that this will be compatible with Heroclix. That being the case, I could see buying lightly into this for the sake of having some creatures to mix into scenarios, especially if the zombies look cool.

No images as yet, though they'll probably start soon enough. The big premiere for these will be at the big gaming conventions this year, with a special "big" Horrorclix surprise at GAMA in March, which likely means they're kicking off the debut season with a convention exclusive big figure. I'm expecting they're going to be sticking to public domain and generic creatures, which - as I understand it these days, due to copyright laws functioning the way they were originally intended to - includes the works of H.P. Lovecraft, which are in the public domain.

Back on Heroclix items in general, word is we'll be getting some info on and around the next items from Marvel and/or the schedule for the rest of the year by sometime Monday.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Since regular HeroClix are out of my financial reach right now, these are defenitely not a purchase I see in my near future.

But, dammit, that is one of the coolest logos I've seen in a while.

Mike Leuszler
http://openmike.blog-city.com
Mike Norton said…
The logo really does get the idea across, doesn't it?

I wish they'd stop being coy about the matter, though, and let us know if all the basic dial mechanics and power colors will be the same as Heroclix. I can understand why they don't want to make it appear as if it's just a Heroclix expansion for various reasons:

* It'd make the horror/monster fans fear everything will be watered down.

* The existing Heroclix licensees (DC in particular, who won't allow Clix to work with any of their Vertigo properties) would object.

* Prospective players who aren't into Heroclix would feel as if they were coming into something already in progress rather than getting in on the ground floor.

Still, they should be able to keep all the same dial mechanics even if they do things like rename "Blades/Claws/Fangs" as "Hack and Slash" and emphsize that while in Heroclix we're trying to knock out an opposing piece, in Horrorclix they're going for the kill. The more intense elements can be conveyed by the cards and scenarios.

We're likely at much the same stage as Heroclix was in 2002 and 2003, where they had to officially treat the Marvel, DC and Indy sets as separate games.

Anyway, if it's compatible I could see myself on the slippery slope into this game, too. If not then I'll ignore it as I have MageKnight and Mechwarrior, each of which has cool sculpts but neither of which is directly compatible.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes