"Stop calling me Bruce."

Another from next month's Avengers set. This time it's Shang Chi.

I'm tired and likely have another killer day ahead tomorrow, so I'm going to keep this brief and not address the covert, yo-yo release of the new rulebook, including the changes and the new Duo mechanic. Maybe I'll finally get to that this weekend.

In the meantime, I just want to post the info for Fu Manchu's son, the man whose name means The Rising and Advance of the Spirit -- Shang Chi.


I really am out on my feet, in need of a shower and some horizontal time. So, very quick impressions --

This is the first of the full reveals on a common for this set -- Shang comes in at #12 in the set -- and gives us the first lower middle-cost piece in the set.

He's also the first piece previewed that a) we hadn't previously seen the sculpt, and b) had even seen listed before as part of the set.

Looking at this and Black Panther, Seth does seem to be doing better in general with sticking to the PAC powers than he is with the Special ones, though I still have hopes for the latter, though he's charging more than it seems he should be for them.

Options -- including potentially conflicting ones, especially whenever one considers the Pounceable clicks... which is good.

It's a reasonably nimble, agile piece, but lacks any innate move & attack powers. The lone click of Savage Fists (Flurry) coincides with the lone click of 3 Damage. A maximum Defense of 16 -- albeit one he holds for three clicks -- even with two opening clicks of "Master of Kung Fu" (Super Senses) he seems easier to hit than I tend to think he should be. He's an experienced level, so there's room to grow, but when we're going to see another Shang Chi..? With no damage-reducing powers if he's tagged he's going to drop through his dial... which makes sense, but I still found myself thinking he's easier to hit than he should be. He was trained to be a pinnacle of the martial arts, after all. Still, when I look to someone comparable for 3 points less, I see much of the same, so maybe it'll fit in well.

Also, having that wildcard Spider-man ally TA is a nice bonus.

Comments

Doc Nebula said…
Oddly, while Shang Chi is in the Figure Gallery, today's sneak peek is, apparently, Wiccan. He's NOT in the Figure Gallery so I can't see his stats, but he seems to be a fabulous support piece... enough that I might use him, much though I despise the Young Avengers.

As to Shang himself, I'm baffled as to why they're including him in an Avengers themed set, but overjoyed to have him. And he seems to have a usable dial, too... even more so under my House Rules.
Mike Norton said…
Yep. I was mainly waiting for the dial to emerge before doing a Wiccan post. I'm not expecting stellar stats and don't expect a deep dial, but for 54 points he appears to be ready to bring quite a bit to the game... but I'll address any of that once I see the dial, including how we'd misinterpreted the silver on his set logo for white, previously (from the ad copy) and see that he is a rare and not a common.

Getting two previews this week, especially both of them being lower cost pieces with something to offer, has me wondering if they're getting a little nervous, are trying to push more orders, or just to see who'll jump.

Likely more on all this in a separate post this evening.

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need