Battles!

This weekend, at least for me, kicked off the Coming of Galactus series of weekly tournaments. For me, they'll be Saturday events.

Getting some packages to the post office was most of the first order of business, an unexpected problem and delay in the mix, but that's since been dealt with. By Monday the last bits will be on their way and hopefully by Wednesday all will be where it's supposed to be.

The first event went off well.

I not only pulled a Super Rare, I pulled one that was solid for this format and was one of the two I was looking to bring my set closer to completion: Winter Soldier. Another Guardsman in the mix (not that I played him, but if I'm going to pull another duplicate at least this virtually generic bit of armor is one I'll be aiming to hold onto; that makes 7 for me, so if I want a bunch of lame-ish flying guards for a Vault scenario, I'm on the way; they will help dress up a SHIELD force, too) and the Angry Surfer, along with the modern age assassin version of Bucky, and it was a good pull.

The team I used only came up to 274 points - I'd pulled an Inferno Battlefield Condition and a Dark Cauldron object, neither of which I wanted to use and neither of which would have changed my points. The foursome was Winter Soldier, USAgent, Moon Knight and Living Laser. Everyone ultimately contributed. The only piece I lost through the actions of an opponent was USAgent, who I tended to play in headstrong, bellicose character. He Charged in and hit when he could, and did more than carry his 75 points.

I handily won my first two matches despite some of the worst dice rolls I'd ever had -- my first attack move out of the event dead-ended with a Critical Miss as something went wrong with Living Laser. It was so much in a non-competitive frame of mind (We were each getting a Surfer for coming and playing, after all) that I had characters behave as in-character as I could, and took as my final action -- the final action of the game -- a pushing action that KOed that piece and snatched my own victory away. All I had to do was say I was done with my turn, and the Two-Gun Kid I'd KOed from him would have left me victorious. Had I not done that I would have gone 3:0 and would have come in first or second -- I didn't bother checking on the points people had; I was there to have fun, not compete.

What was surprising about the Fellowship matter is that generally people don't vote Fellowship to someone who's on a winning run. Probably my third opponent, who I handed the victory to, voted for me, but where the other vote(s) came from I'm not sure.

I'm expecting the Silver Surfer to be appearing on most teams during Game 2, with people looking to their pulls as to the best way to fill out the remaining 69 points. I'm not in the least expecting that come week 5 I'm going to win -- I'd almost say I have a better chance of pulling a Galactus coupon out of a booster -- but so far so good. That event will be August 11th, and I'm not even sure I'm going to get out of July intact, so it's a small concern made infinitesimally small by distance.

The Surfer's a good piece, though I suspect many people will be sick of looking at him by the time Game 2 is completed. Next week's event allows players to include the 231 pt Surfer as if it were an 11th clix pulled from the boosters, and while there are some nice pieces in the set I can't believe anyone who really wants to win the event will leave the Surfer on the sidelines. The standard approach will be to start with the Surfer and come up with the best 69 points or less of support pieces to help him out. So, I'm expecting it will be the Surfer and odd friends against the teams made by people who didn't make it to week one, or who have decided to either go down in flames in style or possibly demonstrate their mad gaming skillz.

He's an uncharacteristically hostile-looking version -- our modern times at work, no doubt. He's a bit rude to look at from one angle, as it looks as if he's mooning someone.These thing happens when one's crouching and not wearing pants, I suppose.

Winter Soldier and Moon Knight each had Stealth on their sides at least up front, though I'm surprised they didn't get taken down more than that since two of my three opponents pulled the common unique Ultimates Iron Man, whose Running Shot and Range lets him strike 16 squares from where he starts and who is unaffected by hindering terrain and therefore Stealth. Getting Winter Soldier up on an elevated platform where he could use his 10 range and sniper's dial to pick off people was key, though even when he finally was tagged I surprised the hell out of my opponent by having the Soldier use his new Charge to zip down off there and attack his Moon Knight, who'd been lurking in nearby hindering terrain, knocking him off his Stealth and leaving him open for my MK to take an additional shot at him.

For me, I'll be hoping to pull or trade for the missing Citizen V and that damned Everett K. Ross bystander pog. Plenty of time and opportunity for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes