The Weekend Rolls Away

Winding down for the night.

If Crypt Leak and Abbygal went ahead with ice cream plans, etc. on Saturday I'll find out about it tomorrow. All fell silent on that front this weekend.

Saturday saw it confirmed that the big Heroclix announcement of the convention was that Heroclix based on NBC's HEROES show are in the works. It would almost certainly have to be as an Action Pack - roughly seven characters from the show, complete with a map, rules, and probably some bystander tokens of other people from the show. New figures in civvies. a new map, who knows if they'll get their own TAs or simply have keywords and special powers? No word yet on when these are scheduled for, but indications are the deal came together both suddenly and recently, so it's now a matter of how far into 2008 we'll be before these are produced. I could only speculate how the finances of the deal have been worked, and there's little point in doing so.

Back to hereabouts, Saturday's clix event went fairly well. I, and nearly everyone else, decided to build teams from our boosters, so only one person played Terrax and I didn't play against him.

I pulled the makings of a good enough team that I went with that: Iron Man, Guardsman, Gargoyle and Two-Gun Kid.

I handily beat the first team with only the loss of Gargoyle, completely swept the second team without taking a loss, and then abjectly lost in a third match against Ares and two bystanders in a game where I rolled so badly I didn't even manage to take out one of the bystanders. I was focusing on Ares, knowing I'd either take him out or I'd lose, and all attempts to damage him failed. Guardsman would SHIELD Iron Man's Damage up by 1, and I.M. would take the shot; a mechanism that worked very well for me in the earlier games. Even the once or twice when I hit Ares he made his Impervious roll and shook the damage off. Meanwhile, Ares making shots with a 5 Damage and an AV of 13, even shooting against someone with an 18 or 19 Defense thanks to hindering, still meant the odds were with him.

I should have had the sense to hold back more and not gotten into a strike or be struck position until Gargoyle had been pushed onto his second click and had Probability Control; that could have made all the difference. A different strategy was clearly called for, but the first two matches left me lazy.

Ah, well, this is all part of the learning process. I didn't make first or second place, but in a situation where I completely lost the third game and still came out with a total score well beyond 1000 pts, I could see that I did okay. And, in any event, I came home with the new, cosmically augmented Firelord.

Monday night after work I'll be heading down to play a 1000 pt match, and at the moment I have three prospective teams. I'll list at least the one I decide to go with afterwards.

Monday elder son Travis will be heading into work with me to pinch hit as my assistant. He came in this past Thursday and was brought back up to speed on various procedures and in learning how to operate a piece of equipment we'd picked up since when he was in during the summer of '06. This will help me out, as my assistant's on vacation this week, and will give him a little more spending money -- albeit out of my pocket. Depending on how the day goes and the workload this week, I'll likely have him in one other day, too.

My loose plans are keep up with the workload and keep up with another project so that I can take two vacation days next week, on Monday and Tuesday when my assistant is back. I won't know how viable this truly is until sometime Friday, I fear. Leaving detailed notes on what's in progress and is due when will be part of the process.

The only near certainty is that at least three days this week will end up being very long ones in order to keep everything moving. I was a one man show for over ten years in this job, so reverting to that for most of a week will, if nothing else, be somewhat nostalgic.

Loads to do all over, though, including my Legends zine for August; that's due next Saturday. As my latest shipment of comics from Westfield arrived Saturday it would seem the perfect opportunity to catch up on comments on what's on my four-color reading list, especially as that's something I can use both in the zine and here on the blog. So... that will likely be coming somewhere in the next few days.

Comments

SuperWife said…
Good luck to you and your stand-in assistant in getting things in order for your mini-vacation.

D hadn't mentioned the HEROES heroclix to me, but that does sound kinda cool and I'll look forward to seeing them.
Mike Norton said…
Monday was long, but went well. Travis did a good job, though needing to be available to guide kept me from getting done all that I'd hoped to. Still, it's cruising along. Nearly everything will depend upon how much of a flow of new work comes in this week. As it stands I have enough to keep me busy, which makes me nervous as I look out from a Tuesday morning. Thursday or Friday I may have to bring him back in, but that's a call that likely can't be made until at least tomorrow; if it can be made earlier it'll only be because too much has come in.

Of course, here I am looking to take a couple paid days off and make a 4-day weekend of it and money's in a pinch, with one vehicle overdue for state inspection and the other one about to be. Too much existance is being supported on a narrow, worn edge of plastic.

The HEROES clix was something of a buried announcement, it depended upon where one looked. We knew there was going to be an announcement Saturday, but the San Diego show is, beneath all the layers, a trade show and with everyone issuing press releases concerning projects and new partnerships the gist of it was spoiled at least two days early. Saturday's confirmation was lost in a violent storm of hype. No timetable or specifics have been offered.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes