Avengers Dissolve?

Wizarduniverse reports that the current run of Marvel's Avengers will be wrapped up and the line ended. The new creative team will be Brian Michael Bendis writing, and his Ultimate X-Men collaborator David Finch will provide the artwork on a 4-issue arc to shut the series down in a catastrophic fashion, providing some new direction for... a relaunched series Bendis will also be writing.

::sigh::

A formal relaunch is utterly unnecessary, though I presume the boys in marketing would say otherwise. I suppose that the combination of new numbering and Bendis as writer are meant to combine to try to achieve sales on the main title such as most of Marvel's Ultimate line has been getting.

I love Bendis' work, so I'll be happy to see him on this title if he feels sufficiently grounded in the characters to carry it off, but another wave of renumbering is... insulting. All the moreso as we had reasonable expectations that as of #500 we would be back on the original numbering. (The numbering issue is a subject all on its own, and I'll look at writing up my take on it... sometime tonight, if nothing interferes.)

They put the walking disaster area known as Chuck Austen on this title a short while back, and I suspect the sales have plummeted so precipitously that they're going to use that as a justification.

The 4-issue arc will start with issue #500, this July.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need