What year is it again? (Now fortified with a tangential updates!)

Reported via the AP, Russia is claiming they have devised an inexpensive wrinkle in nuclear weapons delivery that would render (already unreliable) missile defense systems being developed useless.

On the one hand, while it's superficially amusing to find yet another reason why concentrating on Cold War era technology wasn't a good choice for the Bush regime to be spending our money on, this does have me a little concerned. Oh, it's not that I'm getting The Day After flashbacks. (If I were leaning that way, I'd most likely be recalling the superior British piece done on the same theme at essentially the same time, though I can't recall its title.) No, I'm concerned that this will only give the Bushies another reason to dump even more money into this.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail, they'll realize Russia's blowing smoke - they'd be much quieter about any real edge they have, IMHO - and that in any event they don't have the money to indulge in another arms race.

Update: Thanks to Abby (used to be Abby Normal, but has recently ascended to Abby Superior) for reminding me that the British nuclear apocalypse tale was called Threads. This also sparked my memory for a US film, Testament, which came out a year before the above mentioned BBC effort. It focuses on a specific family in a small town, and on the larger community, as they come to grips with the immediate losses while implacable radiation sickness claims the community by degrees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need