From a distance
(No links in this one. I don't want to look at any of it at the moment.)

So far as when I last looked such victories as there were seemed scant. Inadequate. At least (here in) Pennsylvania, along with neighboring NJ, DE, etc. have gone for Kerry. Florida appears to be a loss (though CNN was refusing to call it, and as of that last check had the electoral votes at Bush 197 vs Kerry 188) which has me wondering what is going on down there. Ohio is leaning towards Bush, though the Kerry camp's spokespeople were insisting that heavily Democratic areas are yet to hand in their returns.

I had avoided the coverage much of the night and I turned it off again a few minutes ago. If it's bad news I don't need to have it delivered to me slowly over a period of hours. If it's good news I'd rather have it in one, ecstatic hit.

Deciding whether or not I'll be better able to sleep not knowing or knowing bad news is the question for me. Either way I have to be able to function at work Wednesday.

Addition: I meant to mention that the buzz about polls as the evening wore on appears to be focused on exit polling, as opposed to many of the larger national models formed over the past several months. The day's exit polls appear to have skewed things heavily towards the Democratic vote, which has proven a guarded but apparently real delight to the Bush administration as the actual votes have been tallied.

My guess? A combination of things, but primarily that there was such an emphasis on new, young and minority voters coming on board that the pollsters went after them more aggressively, and that those voters, in turn, were more anxious to have someone pay attention to them and so were more open to participating in such polls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes