Such Teases

All the legal chatter over the past couple weeks in particular - most recently today's issuance in Texas of a warrant for Rep. Tom DeLay on state conspiracy and money laundering charges - strikes me as such a tease.

That I'd love to see him go down, along with a hog-tied Karl Rove and perhaps even Dick Cheney on various charges, I have too little confidence in the system and too much in the priveleges of money and power. Part of me could even see this as, in part, a calculated move to give the opposition enough rope to let them crow loudly about the coming necktie party, only to have the indicted officially cleared of charges and GOP hatchet men find charges to bring up against various Democrats.

All of this has disturbing echoes of the "leak" of a trumped up document in Dubya's double-evasion of wartime service case which in an amazing feat of legerdemain (and another pitiful testatment to the rubishness of the average U.S. citizen) sunk Dan Rather's career, much of CBS' public standing, and to most appearances an otherwise obvious case of dereliction of duty by the Shrub.

So, while I can continue some small hope that overconfidence - arrogance - has doomed one or more of these destructive forces and might deal a solid blow to the GOP, I'll not be raising those hopes very high.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't think the misreporting of Bush's military service forced Dan Rather's retirement. He had planned on retiring anyway.

I think Rather was just a victim of unfortunate timing, and tab bit of laziness.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes