We're gonna miss her

Harriet Miers has requested to be withdrawn as a Supreme Court nominee, and Bush has "reluctantly" accepted it.

Now it's back in the hands of the neocons and the religious right. Miers may have been a partisan whackjob, devoted to Jesus and G.W.Bush (not necessarily in that order) but she was in her 60s and judging by her dubious grasp of the constitution she could have been handled. Besides, we might have been able to oust her in a few years through deeper investigations of that land deal and general fitness to serve. Instead, we're likely now to get someone the neocons will wholeheartedly approve of. Someone who can be rammed through on a straight, partisan vote. Someone younger and more directed, who will do more damage, more quickly, and for much longer.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Always the optimist, Mike...heh. I suppose I see it as good news. You are right, we will more likely see a worse choice than a better one. But, the fact that the woman was never a judge and was being nominated to the supreme court was something that was completely insurmountable to me. Yep, she had views I could never tolerate. Yep, she was a lackey...no doubt about that. None of those things would sit well with me. But the fact that she was so TOTALLY unqualified really burned me up. Glad to see her gone. Glad. Glad. Glad.

Okay, I'm living in the moment. Sometimes that's all I get. So leave me alone, already.
Mike Norton said…
I certainly agree she wasn't qualified, but I still have those expectations. Maybe we will get more of a qualified, mainstream sort, but then again, whatever we'll get next is probably what we'd have gotten in the end anyway.

The confirmation hearings would have been a hoot. Miers had already demonstrated a lack of knowledge and understanding of aspects of constitutional law to a degree that she was citing material that didn't exist! (Talk about judicial activism...)

Seeing the GOP panel members tie themselves into knots would have been great fun. Not wanting to buck the president nor someone he's ppublicly invested so much of his esteem into too badly, but also not wanting to pass her through would have been a delicious conflict.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes