Origin: The Uniques

While a couple of the details are questionable - two TAs that are obvious errors - the remainder of the Origin unique stats have been located.

The thread on HCRealms is here, containing the link to the commercial site the info comes from. The best speculation is that the stats were pulled by a store from the purple-ringed uniques a pre-release venue would be getting as part of the participation prizes.

Since we've already seen Johnny Quick, Sandman and the Golden Age Starman, I'll get to the remaining nine, presenting them as they're currently being billed even when there's an obvious mistake. I'll toss in some comments along the way, but the moment doesn't permit me time to give each a detailed look.

Being one of those people who tends to eat the least favorite things on his plate first - to get them out of the way - I'll start with a character I frankly don't care one bit about. A legacy character, a replacement one or one mandated by someone's ethnic quota -- all legitimate points of view -- we have the new Blue Beetle.
Not bad, he's potentially very resilient. I simply don't care enough to be likely to play him outside of maybe pulling him in a sealed match. Maybe.

Talk amongst yourselves.

One of those characters I felt was another placeholder -- in this instance one of the let's replace a missing guy with a girl shtick - it's the Doom Patrol's Negative Woman.
A fairly aggressive dial, though a fairly vulnerable one, her final three clicks are in run & hide territory. I'm predicting 117 victory points going to the average opponent, but I'm sure some will have a knack for playing her well.

We see that the Outsiders = Doom Patrol theme is continuing, which once more makes me curious about Robot Man.

Warming up a bit, the remainder are all pieces I hope to pull both from the perspective of the dials and the characters.

We have the armored S.T.R.I.P.E. bringing an 18 Defense to the JSA.
He's a good addition, though I'd likely have to playing a large JSA team before he'd make the cut... but then again, being a flier (and therefore able to carry a teammate) and having that Defense to share, he just might make it.

Finally making his way to clix is the ancient and (mostly) immortal villain: Vandal Savage, an ovvious blunder displaying him with the JLA TA unless we're about to have some DC comics written as incompetently as several Marvel ones have been in the past year or so...
I love the dial, especially the placement for Regeneration that allows him the possibility of healing completely. A click of Leadership up front is a good touch, followed by that mix of Outwit and Perplex. The final three clicks of Flurry and Battle Fury catch him kicking into a vicious survival frenzy. The Defense values and powers strike me as appropriate, and over 40,000 years of generally martial life experience account for the mostly excellent Attack Values.

As for the TA, I'm presuming it'll be Injustice League.

While the only images so far indicate a terrible sculpt, next we have the tiny Mr. Mind
At 68 points and a 4-click dial, even with the opening 19 Defense, some will find him too risky to play. I'm looking forward to him (though I hope the production sculpts are a vast improvement over what we're seeing here), especially with that Willpower.

Despite one writer's excess of attention paid to him and another case of botched TA in the presentation, it's nice to see the Gentleman Ghost make an appearance.
I'd have thought he'd be a little harder to hit, but I can kinda sorta see where Seth was going with this.

Injustice League? No TA? We'll know soon enough.

Bringing a boost to the JSA between the peak 19 Defense and a dial packed with Probability Control and Perplex, it's Jakeem Thunder
Add to that that he's a flier (save for the final two clicks, if I'm reading that site's pale yellow right as Earthbound), 8 Range, 2 targets, eight clicks of life, three clicks of late-dial Barrier and that his first two clicks also have Defend so he can protect more than just fellow JSAers, and I can easily imaging Jakeem seeing a great deal of play in the months ahead.

Wondering about the Golden Age, essentially first appearance Batman? Wonder no more.
Some like him, but I suspect most will be less than thrilled with this neophyte, lacking Outwit, Incapacitate, only having a 4 Range... Will it prove more than a novelty piece? We'll see. This is the same sculpt as the Free Comic Book Day give-away piece will be, so I'll be interested to see how different that one's dial is.

To wrap things up, we have a Golden Age, non-flying, early appearance Superman.
...who seems like a nice deal for 93 points. Nice Defenses, decent damage-reduction, Super Strength down the dial, lots of leaping tall buildings in a single bound action for the first five clicks before closing with three clicks of Charge. A grounded brick, but a tough, mobile one.

As of the moment we haven't seen this week's official sneak peek unless they choose to pass the Johnny Quick preview from earlier in the week off as that. Even so, this was a nice (if unofficial) bit of new info.

Comments

Doc Nebula said…
Fabulous information. Thanks for posting it. I very much like the Batman and Superman figs, and will be happy to place them with my JSA pieces, where they belong.

The Jakeem Thunder piece is alarmingly useful as well. Vandal Savage and Gentlemen Ghost look like they'll be fun to play.

All told, while I'm not as excited about Origin as I was about Supernova, there are still a lot of good pieces in it and I'm looking forward to its release.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes