Ah! Good. I was afraid he'd gone soft in the head.


Earlier this week I'd seen some crowing articles proclaiming that noted academician and outspoken atheist Antony Flew, now 81, had come to accept the existence of God, apparently overwhelmed by the complexity of the universe, etc. I'd considered posting it for a moment, but decided not to at least until such time as I was able to check out his own statements rather than some being passed along and represented as his. Happily, upon being tipped off to the scurrilous rumors, he's stepped forward to say "Sorry to Disappoint, but I'm Still an Atheist!"

I appreciate the fact that he also makes a point that the term atheism is not the "anti-theism" that many misconstrue it to be. Just as being asocial is not the same as being antisocial, it simply indicates an indifference to, a lack of need for, something. Indeed, the atheism label has become such a misconception that I gave up in frustration years ago and simply made a point of referring to myself as an agnostic with atheistic leanings; that is to say, I have no compelling reason to believe in the existence nor the necessity of God, but that while the ultimate reality - one way or another - is not proveable I'm leaning towards a universe in which there is no Ultimate Meaning. If the universe is the creation of a being that demands worship then that Creator is anything but supreme, and I'd rather face oblivion than live under something like that. We must decide what is meaningful and what isn't. If that turns out to be the true test posed by a Creator, well, I can live with that. That's more like what I could respect in God.

It's a long and involved subject of course, because it's an endless in that the arguments take on a Escheresque convolution and circularity. As I'm not proselytizing I don't have a missionary's fervor in this, so while I'm happy to discuss it in a friendly manner with people I generally don't pursue it. I've often found that a pleasant discussion on the subject's not possible with many people. Faith, and the human needs behind it, are powerful forces. Consequently most people tend to react very badly to anyone who seems to be dissing the Big Guy. I try not to laugh (and almost always succeed) but there has to be some humor in the idea that a believer would think that anything I think or say is going to harm the Infinite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes