Craven or Stupid?

Having thrown my sleep schedule off terribly during the weekend, leaving me shuffling, zombie-like through much of my Monday, I went to bed relatively early last night. So it was that I awoke this morning to hear that a supposed "compromise" had been reached on the issue of judicial filibusters. I am so disgusted with this move as to almost be beyond words. A threat was made, the Democrats caved, and the "compromise" announcement was made in some feeble attempt for the Dems to make a pretense at dignity while the Republicans can pretend to have given something up. Oh, my, the filibuster over judicial nominees is preserved... providing it's rarely, if ever, used. Three of the formerly-blocked nominees (Priscilla Owen, Janice Rogers Brown and William Pryor) now get to sail through into a partisan shoo-in vote. Congratulations, ladies and gentlemen! A compromise has been reached, and the bar is now lower than ever!

Of course, along with being disgusted all over again with schmucks like Joe Lieberman, I'm repelled by the willful ignorance and indifference of most of the US public on this issue. The numbers are even worse than they seem, as I'm certain that a great many feel as if they've been following the issue closely because it's something Rush Limbaugh and Fox News have repeated the party line on.

Oh, and on the "craven or stupid" question, just to forestall the obvious, yes I know that these aren't mutually exclusive states.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes