Masked (in)justice?

Excuse me if this is something that was on every third blog yesterday; I haven't been making the rounds.

When I first read about a man being arrested for wearing a Grinch mask in public, my initial reaction was that it was an ill-considered move. (Well, no. My first thought was that they should have done this when Jim Carrey left the makeup trailer a few years ago, but that's a different sort of crime.) Yesterday was a busy day as it was, so I didn't get back to it. This morning, Grant sent me a link to the follow-up, which focused on the city's defense of the action.

It's one of those cases where it's easy to get a quick head of steam, but there are some practical considerations along with the feeling that it could be more energy than it's worth. All of that played a part in my letting it pass on Thursday.

My gut reaction is to say that it's a "presumed guilty" issue, driven by lawsuits over liability, forcing local government to presume the worst and look backwards from that theoretical tragedy with 20:20 hindsight. "Plainly there was something strange going on. Why didn't you stop this madman before he killed everyone in the daycare?!" So long as the courts might hold local law enforcement - and by extension the local government - liable for what would be seen in hindsight as "obvious" indications that something wasn't right, I cannot lay the blame fully on the lawmakers. It's fiscal self-defense.

In the end, it's one of those public safety issues one comes down on one side or the other of, either due to experience or a moral stance. It's akin to random sobriety checkpoints - something that I, regardless of being a non-drinker (it's a rare thing for me to have much of anything with alcohol in it), see as an abominable move. They all fall into a general category of laws supported by people who subscribe to the notion that it's better to inconvenience 999 people rather than let that 1 dangerous one get through. Much depends on the numbers one plugs in - the likelihood of the bad apple - of course.

I've seen some women's makeup that qualified as a disguise, even a fright mask, and that has me wondering if someone might try challenging this law in increments by going out in public with increasingly thick and feature-distorting layers of standard cosmetics. Sort of work one's way towards 1980s Tammy Faye Baker and then start to lean towards something even more theatrical. Better still, if a few people collaborate on this, men and women, to see how far it's permitted for one gender and not the other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes