Charting a minor course on
the Sea of Gray


A gray, rainy Wednesday. I'm hoping it stays peaceful, but as ever there's always a great deal that can go sour. I find myself in the usual mid-week rush to get within the protective embrace of the coming weekend.

Anything I have to say so far on the election will be found over on my other blog. Interesting times, even if so far I'm not commenting on a great deal of it. We're mostly left with possibilities for '07, when the new congress is sworn in; for the moment the task is to figure out who's going to be on the team and what the priorities are.

Back onto trivial matters, we're one week from Supernova's release. Wizkids has kept the official info for most of the set out of their directory, despite it being all out there for people to know since the pre-release on October 28th. While I saw many of the pieces and played with and against a handful of them, I'm still avoiding photos and info. Next week, as I open boosters, I'll see if the effort has paid off by keeping more of it looking fresh and new.

The anticipated schedule for next week is set's release Wednesday (15th) seeing me picking up a few boosters locally. My pre-paid brick will be picked up Wednesday night from the shop Mike T.'s bought it, and so will be the first order of business Thursday morning. Friday a case should be out on a local delivery truck.

I found a fan-created checklist for the set (this one by Supergene -- it's a pdf) so I can keep better track of what I pull. Saves me the effort of making one. I've already marked one in red pen for the figures I brought home from the pre-release.

The marquee events for this set will be on us at an unprecedented speed, and I'm tentatively signed up for two of them, on the evenings of the 20th and 22nd. I'm toying with the idea of getting in on one for the 18th, though if I make it to that one I will most likely drop one or even both of the later events, energy level and schedule demands depending. Each of these marquees will see me buying three boosters, and it can get out of hand. Still, it's proven a fun set to play with, and even if I don't directly pull more of the alien generics I want I have a fair chance of being able to trade for some at each event, as players are still actively trying to fill out key spots in their line-ups.

My in-laws will be away on a trip over Thanksgiving, so they've shifted the holiday invitations to the previous weekend. While I'm not thrilled with the idea of Thanksgiving on a Sunday - with a regular work day following and a drive to and from to make the relaxation element's largely shot - I remind myself that I still have the real thing coming up the following Thursday. A bird just under 22 lbs waits in our storage freezer.

Tags:

Comments

SuperWife said…
Nice to think about the very real possibility of a four day holiday with no real travel, too. Any plans to visit with your Mom, brother and/or sister over the long weekend? Or is it possible, you may actually get some time for you and yours??? Crossing my fingers for you...while visualizing all sorts of Mike Norton leftover turkey recipes...;)
Mike Norton said…
Tried answering this earlier only to have Blogger crap out on me.

My planned approach to the four-day weekend will be to try to stay active and engaged in something, no matter how trivial, unless I'm sleeping. Steering clear of tv most of the time will be an excellent move.

Getting back to visit Mom either on Friday (I don't mind travelling on Black Friday, I just don't want to go into stores or in any of the traffic loops around malls) or Saturday. I feel guilty about not trying to fold together our Thanksgiving plans, but I don't see how (for a couple reasons I won't go into here) I can make that work and not be an ordeal for all.

My general lead-in on the 22nd is to work for the day, play in a Supernova marquee just down the street from work in the evening, then get home around 9 or 9:30 pm and begin to prep and slow-roast the turkey -- probably taking care of the potatoes then, too; they'll reheat nicely. I want to keep nearly all of the food prep on the day before, so Thursday can simply be enjoyed.

Turkey noodle soup might be the fate of some of the leftovers, or else the meat will simply be packed with gravy and frozen for a week or two later when we're in the mood for a culinary echo of Thanksgiving beyond eructation. Much will depend upon how much remains, and with 14 and 16 year-old boys in the mix that can be surprisingly little even from a nearly 22 lb bird once all of the second and third helpings have been taken as Thursday rolls into Friday.

I haven't bothered with things like turkey casserole, and as I will have no dealings with mayonnaise or substitutes I will never have a hand in the dreaded turkey salad, and any turkey sandwiches I might prepare are likely to be hot, open-faced affairs with gravy, knife and fork. Turkey or chicken, unless thinly sliced and smoked, I don't like to eat cold.
SuperWife said…
Do they do 'Hot Browns' up there? Like 'Derby Pie', they originated here, but I'm not sure how far they've spread. An open faced turkey sandwich (great w/ leftover Thanksgiving turkey, btw), with a mornay sauce (though I've seen it with a yellow cheese sauce, too...Philistines!) over it and then a few strips of bacon and a couple slices of tomato. And yes, it's served hot.

Sorry to hear things with your Mom have become so difficult. While I'm sure you'd rather have the holiday plans more entwined, she's bound to be happy to have some time with you over the weekend.

Can't believe you don't go shopping on Black Friday! Highlander and I have plans to be out in it the whole day. He loves me THAT much.

Wait. Did you hear that? Yep. It was him...;) (Okay, okay...it was only a joke...)
Mike Norton said…
Mornay sauce is an excellent suggestion! Thanks. I've never given that a try.

As for "Hot Browns" (which really does sound like another playful term for dysintery) that's the first I've read the term. I'm still mentally tasting it, but it sounds worth trying. I'm going to have to call it something else, though, or else the battle will be half lost before it's even tasted.

re: Black Friday. That was a cruel prank to play on the old codger, especially with his dusty odometer about to climb past a new milestone.
SuperWife said…
LOL - Hot Brown's get their name from the "Brown Hotel" an upscale establishment here in town that first came up with the dish. Hope that helps get beyond your initial association. I'll send you a link or something.

If anyone knows it, you do. Highlander can definitely take care of himself...;)

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes