Wings & Wake
This shot from last year's Fleet Week, taken on the San Francisco Bay, was posted on airliners.net (though I spotted it via this Fark thread, where some misinterpreted the effect as being a visual analogue of a sonic boom.) This one's become my wallpaper of the moment.

I know I kicked around some of the physics of these compression wave & condensation effects months ago when someone posted a similar pic on a different blog -- I thought it was over on the long-silent My Favorite Alibi, but if so I'm missing it upon review.

I've never been a big avionics maven, though I do know some people who practically eat and breathe stats and history for a wide range of aircraft. I may be ambivalent at best about tax maintenance for things such as the Blue Angels - especially as even on their official website half of their mission is "...to enhance Navy and Marine Corps recruiting efforts" - but the technical skill is always impressive, and it does provide opportunities for observing effects humans generally don't get to see.

Comments

This one is simply breathtaking.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes