Ex-Senator to close Cancer Gap in 2008 Race?

Okay, I apologize for the crass headline.

It was just sincerely the first thing that came to mind as I read of the diagnosis for what could be the 11th GOP presidential candidate for 2008, Fred Thompson, and couldn't help but think of John Edwards' recent press conference concerning his wife's dire diagnosis. Honestly, until this notice I hadn't heard Thomspon was considering a run for the office - indeed, I clicked on the story because I had no idea who Fred Thompson was - so it's difficult for me to not take this as publicity rather than simply news.

It's unfortunately too easy to hear the voices of campaign strategists deliberating on how to craft the latest medical updates.

Obviously, for each campaign the news would have to be different in order to be most effective. Thompson's advisors would likely want to walk a tightrope between courageous struggle and being cured, but they'd have to emphasize the certainty of a cure in his case or else people won't back him. In the case of the Edwards' campaign there's considerably more PR latitude since the candidate himself isn't so afflicted and a grim prognosis can be maintained and still have it be in the candidate's best interests.

I'm not suggesting either candidate would be doing this deliberately, but these matters have to be a consideration for those whose job it is to get each man nominated.

Yes, I feel incredibly dirty at this point...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need