I don't intend to make this a politically-centered blog...

...but it's difficult not to wander into this territory during an election year, especially on the night of one of these clusters of primaries.

I'm not seeing anything in the third party variety I can even get behind conceptually this time out. Among the Dems, as of tonight's projections Kerry appears to be the annointed one. (At last look he was taking DE, MO and AZ.)

The only bright spot of the political evening is that Joe Lieberman, having been apparently soundly thrashed in DE where he's been putting in so much time and effort, has officially pulled out of the running. The most positive association I have with him is his likeness to Pat Paulsen, who ran campaigns with similar levels of charisma, but at least Pat wasn't serious.

The whole "electability" spin continues to irritate me. It reminds me of a Python sketch, where Hitler - now calling himself Hilter - is running for some local office and has people working the crowd, nudging locals in a comradely fashion and saying "He's right, you know." That the rebel yell clip and stories of angry outbursts have so easily convinced so many - to judge by the reporting and the voting - that Dean is merely a joke is appalling. People are such sheep.

Of course, by extension they've gotten to me, too, as can be seen in my fatalism. With the elections here in PA not coming around until April 27th (?!) we're virtually irrelevant to the primary, and I'd be astounded if Dean's even left on the ticket by then for me to vote for him. I may still write him in on principle.

All that said, and dealing with the reality of the moment, I can at least feel better about throwing in behind Kerry in November than I can about doing anything that might let PA suffer the ignominity of slipping into handing its electoral votes to Bush.

A busy week for me, I'm trying to juggle work and family demands while getting my zine wrapped up for the next issue of Legends. (I have to get back behind the scenes over there soon and update that page, not only to bring some date references up but to add a link or two.) A couple more zines rolled in today, with the deadline for #104 being this Saturday. There'll be the inevitable few zines that will roll in Monday, but we're a bi-monthly, and I almost never have the time to get an issue out in the mail before the following Saturday. There's always a few days of wiggle room.

Warren Ellis passed along the Variety piece that confirmed his Global Frequency will be coming to the WB, presumably next fall. The pilot's greenlit, at least. Mark Burnett (Survivor) will be executive producer, along with John Rogers (apparently being touted by his association with the brain-dead movie The Core) who will also be writing the pilot.

The capsule reads "Actioner revolves around a shadowy figure named Miranda Zero, who starts a top-secret worldwide independent defense intelligence organization."

I'd have linked to the actual story, but Variety gives you three lines then insists on signing one up for a trial supscription. Mike Nix Variety Clix. I found out when the email came in from Warren's handheld.

Thanks back to Tony Collett for the kind mention on his blog. We'll see in a week or two if this blog gets to anything worth commending.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes