Comic Book Idol II: Assignment #1 voting is open!


As mentioned last Friday, Comic Book Idol II is underway. If you go here you'll find the ballot, followed by links to each of the assignments as the nine contestants completed them, followed by comments from the judges. As mentioned previously, this first assignment is a three-page romantic comedy piece.

If you haven't signed up for the Comic Book Resource boards, you should go do that first. It's free and fairly painless. Without that you won't be able to vote.

I've already given a preliminary look at each of the competitors' work, but have held off voting until I make at least a second full pass.

There are a variety of styles among the nine contestants, and what's going to be difficult for me is not letting certain line-styles (I'm not a big fan of what I broadly think of as manga-inspired work) get in the way of acknowledging effective storytelling techniques and expression of emotion. While looking through them I'm finding it tough to avoid drifting into Frankesteinian pathways, wanting to give this one's line style to that other one's inventive perspective work, along with another guy's use of light and shadow and a fourth's drafstmanlike precision. While it's helpful in identifying individual strengths and weaknesses, and so could be useful in a critique, I'm simply playing the role of an audience member with a single vote to assign.

Keep in mind how much energy has gone into this contest, and if you have the time go take a look and cast your vote.

Update: The polls are only open until 12:30 EST Thursday, the 10th. I've already voted, how about you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need