More comics? But I haven't even read the ones I bought last time!


Notice yesterday that my latest box o' comics is on its way (I'll probably see that tomorrow or Saturday, though now that I've said that it'll probably be Monday) reminded me I should get my next order in sooner rather than later. So! Here's what I ordered from the latest order form; items that won't hit the stores until August. This always strikes me as arrogantly presumptuous, because, well, it is. Who knows what will happen between now and then?

Anyway... to the order:

Doom Patrol 3 "It's a Cold Night's Death when creatures from before the dawn of time draw the Doom Patrol to the Antarctic, where the team is tested for the first time." Why does this remind me, disturbingly, of one of the early, lacklustre issues of Byrne's Alpha Flight from the 80s? Ah, the nostalgia od disappointment! We had such high hopes for that series, and it floundered almost from the start. Except for the Omega Flight plotline the entire first year was dismal. I'm already suppressing a yawn. Oh, but wait. That was the Arctic, while this is the Antarctic. I'm sure that'll make all the difference.
JSA 64
Lucifer Vol. 6: Mansions of the Silence (tpb) It always seems like such a long time between these albums... probably because it is. After all, this covers issues 36-41, and it's being solicited alongside #53. I end up being perpetually a year behind those reading the monthlies.
Swamp Thing 6 I read and... was interested by the first issue, though I'd neglected to order #s 2 and 3, ordered 4, forgot to order 5 in my rush last week... and now here's 6. So, a trip to the comics shop is in order for 2 & 3.
Why I Hate Saturn I hadn't gotten around to picking this one up before, and I've almost always enjoyed Baker's work, so I took this opportunity to correct the oversight.
Astro City Special Just a visit. Kurt shook me loose from A.C. years ago, but I thought I'd pick up this one-shot.
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 2 (tpb) A good format for this uneven tale.
Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 7: Book of Ezekiel (tpb) Another once-staple title for me that's shifted to trade consumption.
Astonishing X-Men 4 I'm more confident about this than I am Doom Patrol, for what that's worth.
Avengers 501 The second part of "Avengers Disassembled" and the binding tie for the Captain America, Iron Man & Thor issues I've ordered, as mentioned last order.
Captain America 30
Captain America & The Falcon 6
Captain America & The Falcon Vol. 1: Two Americas (tpb) I doubt I'll find this worth the effort, but since I was buying the more recent ones I thought I'd catch the series from the start.
Essential Iron Fist Vol. 1 (tpb) Inexpensive, black & white format makes so-so comics more attractive. Newsprint beer goggles!
Fantastic Four 517 As a possible bonus, it's an "Avengers Disassembled" tie-in, too.
Invaders 1 Can something good come from a plotline hatched by Chuck Austen? Only one way to find out...
Iron Man 87
Marvel 1602 Vol. 1 (hc) Well, I've been waiting long enough. Here I'll have the first 8 ussyes if the series.
New X-Men Vol. 3 (hc) A great format and a nice price. This'll probably be the last of this title that I'll buy in this format, though.
Thor 83
Thor Vol. 6: Gods & Men (tpb) Set in what I'm supposing is automatically an alternate future, this should see me through the end of Thor, Lord of Asgard's reign over Earth.
Alter Ego 39 A Jerry Robinson focus for this issue.
Comics Journal 262 Giant, more colorful, squarebound format - certainly pricier - this has a focus on Alex Toth and pre-election 2004 political coverage courtesy of political cartoonists and satirists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need