Never too late to remember


The only reason I didn't note this post earlier was that I hadn't seen it until today.

With the continuing press of "war" by this administration, and with a continuing buzz about a possible resumption of the military draft (though, depending upon who one pays attention to we might seem safe from it), I'm concerned about both the very real need for more troops if these actions are to continue, and what a possible, second term for Bush might bring. As the father of two sons, 12 and 14, these issues weigh heavily on me. I've already seen how a creeping militarism in the culture has been infecting my older son's outlook, and have had to take steps to help balance it as best one can with the increasingly hormone-addled.

When I consider how the lives of often high-minded, noble men and women are being thrown away by this administration it makes me angry. When I see that sacrifice being used in circular reasoning to support the mission - instant sanctification - I wish more of the families of those killed would separate the nobility of sacrifice and what these people honestly believed they were doing there, from the intent and machinations of those who pressed this "war." To praise the troops is not the same as praising the mission, nor is decrying the mission the same as insulting the troops.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need