Post-marquee, pre-auction closing

I can sit and watch the minutes tick by on my auctions (the shameless plugs continue!) or I can try to focus on some other things.

I went to the marquee mentioned in the previous entry and had a fairly good time. I won two of the three matches, and the nine other players were mostly good sorts.

Due to the limited figures to choose from (9 clix from three boosters, rather than 12 clix, and My team was an Experienced Moonstar (66pts), an exp. Scarlet Witch (49 pts), a rookie Dr. Strange (82 pts) and a veteran Iron Fist (71pts). I added a 10 pt Shake Off card to Moonstar, though I didn't use it once, bringing my team total to 278. My pulls included rookie and veteran Juggernauts, an exp. Nightcrawler, rookie Mirage and rookie Awesome Android, which made for lousy point fits. It's possible I'll give them another look and realize I skipped a better configuration, but this one worked well defensively and aggressively.

Worst moment (aside from being against a team with an exp. Green Goblin, a vicious Norman Osborne, a veteran Jolt and a rookie Scarlet Witch) was neglecting Songbird's TK until she dropped Ben Grimm (carrying a motorcycle) next to Dr. Strange and slamming him for 6 clicks of damage. Second biggest oversight was in forgetting to use the Scarlet Witch's Ultimate X-Men TA to give her an extra edge, and having Iron Fist do the same for his... not to mention having Iron Fist copy Moonstar's X-Men TA to allow him to heal Moonstar -- who was the piece most frequently KOed. It's just too damned easy to hit an Indian on a winged horse.

Best moment is probably a tie between two moves made against a Cain Marko. One saw the Scarlet Witch score a hit on him, rolling doubles, so that he not only took damage (Dr. Strange had made Cain vulnerable to her 2 Damage) but was knocked off the edge of the roof. That move not only delivered another click of damage to him but took him out of play for a while as he couldn't easy return to the rooftop. The other was when Cain - after he'd been returned to the rooftop by his partner (yet another Green Goblin) - was closing in on a heavily-damaged Iron Fist - only to have Iron Fist make a Regeneration roll, managed a 6, and was healed up to his dynamic, second click. This turned the situation from Cain thinking he had a fairly easy kill coming up, to now having an uphill roll to make and Super Senses to avoid. The revived Iron Fist evaded the attack and ended up delivering the knockout blow to Cain and another 155 points to me.

MVP was likely a split between Scarlet Witch and Dr. Strange, though all four pieces earned their keep. The new Wanda (Scarlet Witch) is an excellent piece, with a 10 Range, good attack values, 2 Damage, opening click of Stealth and Probability Control down the dial. The PC was invaluable, and that she was able to do damage from 10 squares away made her even more so. Dr. Strange is a swiss army knife of a piece, with Outwit up front & at the end, and Probability Control on the second slot to help him be useful every single turn, even when he can't do anything overt.

I also traded for one of the pieces I was still missing: Baron Blood. That just leaves a vet. Invisible Woman, a unique Warlock and the Kurt Wagner Super Rare, none of which are Must Have Now pieces under the circumstances. Bagged & Boarded, the venue where the event was being held, was holding a general 20% off sale, too. This helped make the cost of the marquee less of a sting than usual. Also, they had boosters of Mutant Mayhem on sale for $5 each, and I bought one on the way out. I pulled a M.O.D.O.K., so that's another unique for the Trade Or Sale pile, either of which made the buy a good one.

The decision as to whether or not to attend a more local marquee on Sunday is yet to be made. I have to put in a few hours at work Sunday anyway, which will put me most of the way to the venue anyway.

Okay... the fall of the auctions is nigh! Time to refill my glass!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes