A Quick 'un

Nothing urgent, pressing or particularly worthwhile to convey, this is mostly here because I'm trying to post something each day.

A little snow overnight gave us a blanket of white this morning. Not even a nuisance amount, quickly cleared and any residual, tenacious, frosty snow on the walk quickly treated with some wild birdseed. It's good for interim traction, is dark enough to absorb the sunlight and melt through the ice, the birds have something to eat once the ice is gone and the cats get to sit in the window and watch the fantasy buffet.

The roads were well-treated and clear and by luck or timing most of the idjits didn't happen to be on the road so the ride to work was smooth and reasonably swift. The kids had a 2-hour delay, though -- likely a guilty response to two Fridays past when an unexpected, overnight glazing made for a treacherous commute for everyone -- which gave them a more leisurely start and a string of time-starved classes that were the next best thing to a day off. They had mid-terms last week and few were anxious to vigorously dig into something new -- my impression is that this went for the teachers, too.

Though I don't have much excuse for it I'm out on my feet again tonight. Unfortunately it's in that annoying, useless-but-not-necessarily-apt-to-nod-off way. The two reasonably good nights of sleep I managed last week didn't hold me for long, and I'm shuffling back towards the ranks of the zombies. A solid stretch of sleep could only help. Just because I don't want the day that's coming doesn't mean that it will only arrive after I sleep. One would think I'd have learned that years ago, but stupidity's tenacious. If we could distill and concentrate the essence of stupidity it would make epoxy and super glue obsolete.

A hot shower, possibly something to start me tumbling eventually towards Nod, and a reminder set for Heroes at 9. Generally I catch those Friday on SciFi -- and if I fall asleep early tonight that'll still be the case -- but I'm in the mood to catch it tonight if I'm up.

Wanting to stay awake for something is a time-tested way of falling asleep, isn't it?

Disappointment is a self-serve item!

Comments

SuperWife said…
I'm shuffling back towards the ranks of the zombies

I can hear you now, "braaaains!!!"

I caught MOST of HEROES last night. In case you didn't, I won't go into details, except to say it wasn't one of the more riveting eps and either Hiro is adopted or looks FAR more like his mother than his dad...
Mike Norton said…
Not sure if I'm doing any better today than yesterday, but the game's on either way.

Yes, I did catch Heroes last night, though I'll likely still re-watch it Friday as I know I fluttered a little in and out of consciousness during it -- only to end up much more awake for the hour or so afterwards when I would have rather been asleep.

I'd known George Takei was coming to the show and was going to be Hiro's father -- I sometimes forget what I mention here and what I say over lunch -- but I simply didn't know when. Hiro also has a sister, who I presume we'll be meeting next week.

The cast continues to expand, and we're left with more cliffhangers... I'm wondering how smoothly it's going to unfurl over time. Kring claims he has five seasons loosely mapped out, and at least has the sense to know that it's too organic a form to claim that more than the current season is mapped in detail. We know NBC picked it up for a second season, so I'm expecting cliffhanger season-enders... which I'm not necessarily thrilled about. Joss Whedon generally wrapped each season of his shows, confident that we were sufficiently invested in the characters to return the next year. Then again, maybe that's part of the difference between Buffy and shows like Heroes or Lost in terms of viewership. Generating and maintaining that buzz is vital.

Does anyone know how many episodes there'll be to a season? I know there will at least be 17, going through the end of February, but I don't know beyond that. 20? 24? Seventeen would be a bizarre spot to end, so I'm guessing we'll go into reruns for a little while after that and then get the final run of first season episodes in spring.

Oh, if anyone has a tape or other recording of the first episode, hold onto it. I'm sure all of the big Heroes aficionados already know this, but GE competitor Emerson Electric Company didn't care for the use of their garbage disposal as a hand-mangler and has sued to prevent any unedited rebroadcasts or distribution of the pilot. A minor change to be sure -- these days it's likely a quick digital edit to obscure or change the brand name -- but minutiae are often important to the hardcore fan.
Doc Nebula said…
I'm looking forward to finally getting this whole first season on DVD, so I can rewatch it at my leisure and, in the words of some anonymous troll over at Jim Henley's blog, 'overanalyze it like a lawyer'. Hey, we all have to have a hobby. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need