Justice League cartoon coming to a close


While much of this is old news to those who care, I know that I found this press release to be a helpful reminder, as Justice League has been into nothing but reruns for a while now and so slipped well out of my routine. The 90 minute (well, including a huge number of commercials, no doubt) series-concluding story - "Starcrossed" - will debut May 29th at 7:30 pm ET & PT. Those of you who want to know as much as possible about it - including spoilers - can go here.

The replacement series, Justice League Unlimited, will debut August 7, as noted in the article. Earlier press releases stressed an element largely buried in this newer article, that emphasized the end of multi-part episodes. Each of the new series' half hour shows will be stand-alone items, which has its advantages and disadvantages. While the two-part story format often strained a story that could have been told more effectively in half the time, there are some stories that require the greater length.

Potentially more distressing is speculation on what is meant by "a bold, new look" for the replacement series, given that around the time the first such notice was given (and it may still be true) Teen Titans - which uses highly stylized artwork in the vein of anime (Japanese cartoons, for the uninitiated.) Perhaps it's my age and inflexibility showing, but while I can enjoy such styles when applied to other characters and series, I strongly dislike seeing familiar, western comics characters rendered in that style. The standard, "cartoonized" style Warner's been using for their Superman/Batman type shows is about as far down that path as I wish to go. Huge hands, feet, mouths and eyes, drops of stress-sweat flying off their heads, etc. isn't anything I want to see in these cartoons.

While I'm reasonably sure that Warner won't abandon the style that's been used so successfully for the Superman and Batman cartoon franchises in the past 15 years, there's always a possibility. I'm frames from the new cartoons will be leaked before long, so we'll see soon enough. If anyone spots them, I'd appreciate a tip-off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes