Asterix

A visit from Chuang Shyue Chou reminded me of one of those international comics institutions I was aware of but had otherwise largely ignored. In this case, it's Asterix.

A quick check found that as they're counting down to what I'm taking to be the 33rd album collection for the character's adventures. The link above is to the official site, which as official sites go is rather nice. Going back to 1961, like the Fantastic Four, Asterix and I are essentially the same age... which is not to say I was born circa50 BC...

If nothing else, checking into this is a worthwhile exercise for us Americans, who sometimes forget that there really is a whole world out there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've been aware of Asterix since the late 1970s, when I was living in Paris.

Funny funny funny funny. I'm sure it's great in English too!

Thanks for reminding me of my comics en francais. I'll dig 'em up and enjoy 'em all over again.
It is great in English! It's hilarious. The name of Obelix's dog is Dot Matrix if I recall! There are so many silly puns in there. Watch for the names!

Another series that I love would be Herge's 'Tintin'. Again, the series is great in English. Herge has a penchant for accuracy in his drawings.
Anonymous said…
Merci beaucoup, M. Chou! (Chou means "cabbage" in French, by the way! Pronounced differently, of course...)
Ahh...

Chou is also pronounced quite differently in Chinese too.

Incidentally, for the Chinese, the surname or family name comes first. So, I would technically be M.Chuang?

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes