The importance of fighting losing battles

Some, at least.

In the flurry of activity to petition representatives to take a stand against the Alito nomination (Tony Collett's been noting most of them) I've found myself stating many of the same points to various politicians.

I rarely ever just sign one of those petitions and send it unless it's clear that I'm just to be a signatory to a simple statement. Most of the modern e-campaigns involve sites that generate individual emails targeted at each of a list of senators and representatives. I generally have some quibbles with the wording, and even in the rare occasions where I don't, I don't want to simply be part of a wave of boilerplate poli-spam. If a single email is going to come through solely in my name I want it to be mine.

When sending a message to a short list of senators (including a couple of Republicans) concerning an Alito filibuster, this is what I sent:
I understand that the filibuster is not a tool to be used trivially, but it is a tool with a function. Arguments that it's not to be used in the face of numerically overwhelming votes are absurd. When a decision is on the line that will affect not only us but generations to come we must keep the bar high. This is not some simple decision, easily undone or modified.

I urge you to not look at the situation as a hopeless one in which you are measuring out some finite amount of political capital. Instead, see it as a necessary step in standing up to idealogues and bullies by representing the strong reservations held by millions of citizens. To hold back now, marshaling strength for another fight on another day, is to lose that strength.

Samuel Alito’s record is troubling, as were such answers to the questions he and his defenders didn't simply evade during the senate hearings. Exceedingly clear are two of the threats posed by his nomination:

* Presidential power unchecked by judicial oversight.

* Americans stripped of their right to privacy and subject to abuses of corporate and government power.

Samuel Alito as a justice of the Supreme Court is not a trivial threat. Please stand up for the dignity of the Senate, the value of the Constitution and the will of the people. I ask you to filibuster Samuel Alito’s nomination to the United States Supreme Court.

Sincerely,

Michael J. Norton


Now, do I expect a filibuster? Honestly, I don't know. At this stage I'd say the vote for Alito's going to be a steamroller, especially as a couple nominal Democrats are already on board his candidacy. I'm just doing my small part to push for someone to make a stand. We protest how and when we can.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mike, we frequently are on opposite sides of an issue, but man I wish we lived close enough to meet face to face. I think it would be fascinating -- and fun -- to sit down over a mug of Perrier or something and talk issues.

I admire your conviction and your conscience, and I follow your reasoning even when we don't reach the came conclusion.

Unfortunately, finding someone with decency and common sense combined with intelligence and a backbone is a rarity. It would be a hoot to hang with you, which is why I continue to visit your blog.
Mike Norton said…
Thanks for all that, Mike. I get so uncomfortable in social situations, though; even if I put on a good face for it sometimes it's seldom worth the beating I give myself for days, months and longer afterwards over what I chose to say and didn't say.

On any of these serious posts I'm almost always troubled by thoughts of why did I choose this one rather than one of the many other pressing issues - perhaps even ones we might be able to do something substantive about. (That's a definite Note To Self.)

It's been so easy to lose heart, especially these past five years.

The more unfortunate thing is that it remains easier to take these opposition stands than it does to push a progressive issue. Good ideas so quickly become eroded by special interests and pandering once they get to the level of politics. I continue to look for candidates I can vote for rather than simply seeing them as "workable" and not as frightening as their opponents.
Anonymous said…
I can say for a fact that it IS a hoot to hang with Mike.

Our dogs and cats love him. And cryptleak and I kinda enjoy him too.

Signed,

--Secretary of the MJN fan club
Mike Norton said…
Too kind, too kind.

Do you think if I scratched your butt and behind your ears I'd be as popular with the two of you as I was with the pets? Western culture can be so confusing at time...

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need