It started... in Indy?

Okay, so I'm well behind the curve here, seeing as how the group announced itself back on August 24th, when their spokesman/leader Doktor DiscorD™ (so... how exactly do you pronounce that "DiscorD", Dok?) announced the debut of a group of costumed crimefighters in the city of Indianapolis: "The Justice Society of Justice ™...offering twice the JUSTICE as the leading competitors!" He goes into it more directly on his MySpace page

Pictured up top are Mr. Silent, Doktor DiscorD and Doom Bunny.

Okay, so - of course - on most levels it's a goof.

Still, they're having fun, and so far it seems that they're not doing any harm... though I don't know what positive things to think about a group headed by someone who lists among his personal heroes Rorschach and Kid Miracleman (aka Kid Marvelman).

Look through his pages and you'll see references to fellow heroes, many of whom sound as if they were characters cut from Mystery Men: Cap'n Whiskey, The Hamburger Helper and "the gynecological justice of The Green Discharge."

I suppose we really can't blame the late Captain Sticky for this lot, eh?

Ultimately I'm left remembering what happened to Captain Freedom on Hill Street Blues... was that really 24 years ago? (Hint: Those costumes aren't likely to be particularly bulletproof.)

In fairnes and to use that reference pivot-point to show the other side, to try to show where some of this impulse comes from, I came across this exchange from the show:
Belker: "They're laughing at you. They are. They're making fun of you. Don't you understand that?"
Captain Freedom: "What am I supposed to do? Hide in my room? Lock my doors and windows? Let the fear in the streets rule me like it does millions of others? If every man and woman got up off their knees and took a stand, do you think that criminals would walk the streets with impunity? No. This is my city, my country. And I'm gonna fight for it. Life. Life is a gift and you gotta reach out and grab hold of it or you are just part of the problem. You gotta, you gotta hug your ki ds every day and you gotta put gum wrappers in your pockets and take shorter trips in the car. Because that's what's right. Me? I'm not backing down. I'm not givin' in. They can beat me. They can rob me. I'll keep coming back. They can stomp on me until I'm just a little greasespot on the floor and someone else will jump in my place. Life triumphs. Love triumphs. I'm a man and I'm gonna hold my head up and walk like one."
Belker: "Yea."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the heads up. I suppose Mark G. and Tony C. ought to take this as notice to clean up their E-vil ways!

I noticed that Doktor DiscorD is a Scientologist. That may explain Tom Cruise's transformation.
Tony Collett said…
Puny ants! Once my Asqgzyn* Ray is working, I'll destroy you all!

*asqgzyn is today's word verification
Doc Nebula said…
I am fairly sure, having checked out his page, that it's pronounced "Doc-TOR Dis-kor-DUH."

Emphasis on the 'duh'.

Why do I get the feeling these people are all really really frustrated Colts fans?
Anonymous said…
I think if this is the best that this world has for superheroes, I'm gonna reconsider the super-villain gig.

Mike
Anonymous said…
I'd almost forgotten that speech. It still hits you right in the gut. Even knowing how Capt. Freedom ended up, it still works for me.
Anonymous said…
I have never been able to forget Captain Freedom. That scene, where he stands up and gives himself a little fanfare and launches into his speech is one of my favorite moments in all of TV.
Anonymous said…
You all know, of course, that Season 1 of Hill Street Blues comes out on DVD the end of this month. And even though I'm getting no kick-backs whatsoever, I'd refer you to Deep Discount DVD's, where they're selling it for under $30 with no shipping. That's right. No shipping.
Tony Collett said…
"I'd refer you to Deep Discount DVD's, where they're selling it for under $30 with no shipping. That's right. No shipping."

No shipping? Then where do we go to pick it up? Don't you mean free shipping?
SuperWife said…
Yes, Tony. You are correct. But don't you have scary crimefighters to hide from? Back under your covers, man!
Anonymous said…
These guys also bring to mind the notorious "St. Cloud Superman" who has appeared in a lot of newspapers and even had a segment on NPR at least once.

This brain-damaged psycho dresses up in full costume with foam muscles and everything and stands by the local Dairy Queen, blasting the Superman movie theme and waving to cars as they drive by.

Sometimes, he doesn't want to wear the full costume,sohe stands out there in civvies and a cape, or just a t-shirt with the Superman logo on it.

One memorable day, he wore a cape, a t-shirt that was WAAAY to small and incredibly tight boxers that were colored red white and blue. He stood on a firehydrant, erection to the world singing God Bless America.

And if you're lucky, he'll pose for a picture with you for only $5! What a country!

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need