Almost Fresh from the Sea

I’ve been too busy to do much with the mighty stack of backlogged comics here in the House of Norton, but here’s another one I read recently and which is handy for me to comment on:

To say I’ve never been a big fan of Aquaman – as a character – is likely similar to saying that I’ve never been in orbit. Sure, there are people out there who have, but…

Still, I was interested in seeing what Rick Veitch would do with the character. Not interested enough to pick up the single issues of the series, but enough to order the trade once it was solicited.
Aquaman-Waterbearer cover


Aquaman: The Waterbearer collects material from Aquaman Secret Files #1, JLA/JSA Secret Files #1, and the first four issues of the ongoing series. Picking up where the JLA’s Obsidian Age arc left off, the people of Atlantis have been put through a ringer physically, philosophically and spiritually, and they blame their monarch, Aquaman, for all of it. Malignant, magical forces are at work, too – something that’s come back with the people of Atlantis from their 15 years of slavery when they were plunged 3000 years into the past.

So, as the series opens, Arthur “Aquaman” Curry is not merely persona non grata in the seven seas, he’s public enemy number one.

The series leads him on what is essentially a spiritual quest, as he finds a new source of sustenance, and a patron. Conquering his own nature, and the consequences of drawing life from a new well, so to speak, are the toughest parts for him.

Veitch has decided to draw on Celtic and druidic mythology, specifically Annwyn, tying it in with Arthurian legends.

The mix of four pencilers and three inkers isn’t as jarring as one might think, especially as the bulk of the work is done by Yvel Guichet and Mark Propst, with Norm Breyfogle’s very distinctive style (with Denis Janke’s inks) showing up late in the volume. At worst, the artwork doesn’t get in the way of the story by being too jarring, and in general it does the job well.

In the end, I’m interested enough to pick up a second trade if one’s put out, but if it doesn’t happen I won’t be crestfallen. I came to this volume not especially caring about DC’s version of Atlantis and its former monarch, and I can’t say that much has really changed... though I don't feel any worse about them than I did before, if that counts for anything..?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need