Dangerous Self-Expression?


What bothers me the most about this story (which I'd heard about this morning, but was hoping for a version to pop up with one or both of the pieces of artwork attached) are the "school officials" who felt this needed to be brought immediately to the attention of the police, who in turn contacted (presumably) the FBI. Sure, sure, I know that in a post-Columbine environment this is probably all codified to prevent any possibility of a successful lawsuit being brought against the school, but hasn't this gone too far?

Had the head on a stick pic been that of a classmate, teacher, or some other more reasonably threatened local target, I would have understood a strong reaction, but even then it should have been a case of contacting the parents and the school/ school district's psychologist. Beyond that, it's - please excuse the term - overkill.

Update/expansion: Though the sketches themselves haven't shown up that I've noticed, this piece gives more details as to their content and some of the players in this mess.
Here's another piece, this time closer to the event, with a little more detail. (As an aside, am I being unfair in feeling that a police chief who uses the term "bailiwick" might be considered a danger sign?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need