The Souls of Geeks & Accountants

Among my travels today - this time it was me and the older of my sons - along with some prescriptions, various things we needed around here, some equipment Trav needed for a class next week, and I went ahead and picked up something for myself, too.


I'd wanted to have as large as practical a way of organizing my clix collection, which - as Crypt Leak, Abbygal, Jason, Eric and some affable but confused pets have seen - is considerably less than organized.

The focus in the short term will be on the Marvel clix, not only because there are far more of them but also because that's the pool we've been drawing from for the group games. I'll want to expand to DC clix for those games eventually, but for the time being I wanted to avoid mixing in the likes of some of the Superman figures.

So, what I picked up was an Okeechobee Flats fishing tackle bag, pictured above.

It's a 17" x 13" x 10.5" bag, with multiple zipper pockets and eight plastic utility boxes that fit neatly inside the bag as seen here in an overhead shot. I don't know off-hand how far this will get me, but at the least it'll give me a better shot at organizing pieces well enough that I'll be able to find the pieces I want quickly.

Clustering all of the Spider-Man pieces in one spot, the Hulks in another, etc. is the first wave. After that I'll decide which ones are best kept in the same tray boxes. I'm not likely to split these up based solely on the team symbols on each base. That wouldn't be much of an improvement over the current chaos. So, I'll be more likely to keep Dr. Strange, Sub-Mariner, Hulk and Silver Surfer in the same box with other Defenders regardless of the Hulk and Sub-Mariner having been members of the Avengers at one point and Dr. Strange about to become one in the current continuity.

The boxes have reconfigurable compartments, which makes it easier to accommodate some of the larger sculpts, especially in the instances where I've glued the flier sculpt to the flight stand. I was doing some more gluing today, too, though after a while I stopped because it may not be necessary in most cases, and it's far easier to fit more into the compartments if I can keep the pieces separate and let them shuffle into a best-fit configuration.

So.., I've started to get the pieces organized, and will get to more of it before the weekend's out. So many of the pieces with flight bases and sculpts are separated and scattered, so getting the components together is taking some time. Still -- and here's that shared soul of the accountant and the hobby geek -- that's part of the fun.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I understand completely. There's something so satisfying about getting everything done the way you want it. Even when the task before you is pretty large. Not only do you enjoy it in the moment, the completion of it will give you a pretty hefty sense of accomplishment.

Good luck to you!!
Mike Norton said…
Thanks, Tammy. Certainly, giving the circumstances down there and the upcoming... cementation, you'd better be familiar with all that. ;)

So far today, following a comically late start, I've been mostly doing housework, cooking, email, looking at some items on YouTube Crypt Leak had brought to my attention, and looking over a writing project at a friend's request. No more clix organizing yet today, but once I've cleared the dining room table I might make another pass at it before wrapping Sunday.
Anonymous said…
Hey, I didn't call you 'Martha', now did I?...;)

Busy weekends all the way around, sounds like. I'm sure our mutual friend appreciates your prompt attention to the writing project. In fact, I'm certain of it.

Hope you can eek out a little Sunday for Mikey.
Mike Norton said…
No, no - nothing derisive intended. I was just noting it was important that you appreciated the draw of these sorts of activities.

I can barely believe it's 8:00 Sunday night, though.
TT said…
Very similar to what I have some of the D&D miniatures sorted into ...

... to the extent that they are sorted anyway. I have a bunch that I need to sort.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes