Another day

Sunday night we had quite the light show, with power being knocked out for several hours. Brilliant lightning diffused by clouds, firece downpours for three minutes, then little more than scattered drops with what's fallen already wisping from the asphalt. A literal cheer from the neighborhood when the power came back on - half the neighborhood was either outside or looking out open windows, as the power had been out long enough that the air inside had warmed and gotten stale - and as loud an "Awwww!" when it winked out again ten seconds later.

By the time the power came back on I opted to let my auctions - which had closed while I was incommunicado - wait to be settled. All the storm activity in so many places in the Eastern states (where WizKids has said most of their buyer/player base is) likely had a negative impact on browsing and buying. Even if power didn't go out, most don't want to risk fried modems and mother boards. Eh. These things happen.

I just relisted one item that didn't reach its sale threshold, and put up another extra I'd help back on last time. We'll see how they do with a late Monday night closing.

Little obligations this morning, I took son Travis out to his new school for some pre-semester testing for a program he's getting involved in. That went fairly well, though it took the full morning. I envy him the opportunities, and if there's one thing I won't allow to happen with either of my sons it'll be letting them drift into adulthood without solid, exhaustive efforts being made to finding career paths for each of them that they will enjoy and find fulfilling. If it's at all in my power I'm not going to let them feel the daily dread and rotten emptiness of knowing that so much time out of every day is wasted. Like chronic physical pain it's horribly draining. I've been getting better at finding a little time here and there to unwind a little - which is a good step - but that's not fixing my problem.

Some things here and there during the afternoon, and then I hit the third week of Monday night Heroclix gaming down at Comics & More at the Plymouth Meeting Mall. The turnouts have remained wonderful -- any more people and they'll have to turn them away. (Though you'd never know it from the online enrollment, as most of the people don't register.)

I did well with another Avengers team, winning two out of the three games, including one against someone with a combination of the Ultimate version of Thor, a probabily controlling Jinx, Deadpool and Taskmaster. The latter two could boost the already daunting Thor to terrible damages, which they did and he used. I enjoyed it when the Avengers took him down, and that was the prouder of my two wins. Even the loss was in a very close game, so getting to play a little is, as one would hope, helping my game.

Hey. I should start angling for bed. An early day tomorrow, with entirely too much I do not give a damn about -- yet must pretend to -- being obligatory, with more expected of me on top of that. Part of me genuinely wants a psychotic break. Something to shatter the situation and free me of those unwanted obligations forever. I may be fooling myself, but a blowing apart seems like such a more satisfying conclusion than a slow, sad, collapse after everything inside's rotted away.

I promise, I won't complain about hackneyed writing if I get to wake up and say, "Oh! It was just a horrible dream!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes