Monday ups and downs

On the down-side, my wife's maternal grandmother died early Sunday morning, and the funeral's been set for Thursday -- when my wife will be in the hospital for the latest of the investigative procedures. We can't reschedule this, so the first grandchild won't be able to attend the funeral.

Also, the path to getting the van inspected is proving long and arduous. Today brought us a diagnosis ($49.95) for the check engine light, which is scheduled to be addressed on Friday for another $300-something... and then (hopefully) the following Monday will see the final bits addressed and the stickers applied.

Let's not even discuss The Ass of Pennsylvania Avenue's recess appointment of yet another ass, this time at the United Nations. May they both be jeered wherever they appear.

On the up side, the inaugural tournament for a local Heroclix venue (mentioned last time) went very well, from the strong turnout (18 players, I believe) , nearly all of whom were very pleasant to play and talk with. My attempt at an Avengers-themed team worked very well:
vet Hawkeye (FF) with Armor Piercing and the Thunderbolts card: 99 pts
U Sersi with the Thunderbolts card: 81 pts
vet Jolt* with Armor Piercing and the Thunderbolts card: 70 pts
exp. Scarlet Witch (FF): 49 pts
Total: 299 pts
(* As a stand-in for Quicksilver, who wouldn't have been legal for this tournament.)

The Thunderbolts card gave the three Avengers the Batman TA's built-in Stealth, which I attributed to having the a mutant witch, an Eternal one, and some leftover Stark & perhaps Wakandan tech.

I didn't lose a single piece, winning handily in the first and third matches, with the second match being a stalemate where neither of us took a piece. He didn't lay a click of damage on me, while I hit him several times, but he had a healer (Checkmate Medic) stashed in a room and any time he took a hit the piece soon ran off to be restored to health. I could have been more aggressive about it, but I was wary of leaving myself open to his Green Lantern, Doc Samson and Raven. Since his build was 296 points (3 lower than mine) and there were no KOs he was technically the winner. It's just the way the game works.

I had a good time, and came in fourth (yeah, I probably should have made the moves necessary to take out the second player's medic...) and thanks to the excellent prize support Aaron manages for his events I won an LE from way back in Xplosion: Sarah St. John. Now, will I ever use her... I don't know. But it was a pleasant prize and a good time.

Oh, I also traded for the last of the Fantastic Forces uniques I was missing: Warlock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes