Format Changes

Taking a cue from Tim Tjarks, who had taken a similar step a while back, I've finally made a few format changes on the site this morning.

Some early attempts to tinker with the site ran me into sudden formatting disasters, so I was a little gun-shy. These seem to have worked out well enough, though I doubtless have some tinkering to do. The bulk of the posts will look silly for the moment, but I'm not going to go back and reformat all those.

Yes, I know some of the color choices (or lack thereof) aren't attractive. I'm still getting the hang of this. In time, in time...

For now:

First, the longer posts were scrolling the screen, so I wanted to be able to keep the bulk of a piece on its own page.

Second, it bothered me that the Haloscan system I was using wouldn't notify me that a comment had been made unless I made a cash contribution. Oh, I understand their need, but I thought it was time to give the comments sections Blogger/Blogspot offers another chance. We'll see how it works out. Accordingly, I've switched off the Haloscan comments for now. I experimentally copied and pasted the two most recent comments into the new format (one of which I accidentally put in twice, hence the note of deletion in one of them), but didn't reach back farther than that, so I'll give a brief apology to those other posters. For what it's worth, the way Haloscan was working it appeared that comments more than a few months old were disappearing anyway, despite the template staying in place. I believe the new comments format will allow the comments to stay for as long as the blog itself is up.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yo, Mikey!
I posted a comment and it disappeared!!

Don't you love me no more?

:-(
Anonymous said…
Okay, I've put it off for hours, but surfing a bit later now and just HAD to tell you that I LOVE that pic. ESPECIALLY that shirt. I suppose it was quite chic at that '70's bar. But the photo is truly adorable. And I'm not being ironic. Thanks for sharing.
Mike Norton said…
Crypt Keeper: One which post? It's only the Halsoscan comments which have been 86ed. Anything done in this comment set-up's (Blogger)stayed.

Tammy: I had a gold shirt like that, too. I forget which cousin I got them from, but they had at least four buttons on each cuff. That picture was, as best I can recall, of a quickly pulled-together birthday party for me... I believe it was my 11th.
Anonymous said…
So you've been drinking Tahitian Treat for over 30 years...

What's that suspicious bottle behind your right shoulder?
Mike Norton said…
Oh, no... the Jack Daniels incident was either near the end of that summer or the next. I keep bouncing it between when I was 11 or 12.
Anonymous said…
I kind of miss the old formatting, but I admit, this current page loads faster on my screen, which is always a plus.

If you're going to keep the shirt, you may want to re-christen the blog something like "My Hideous Purple Disco Shirt" or "That 70s Shirt"... it's not that I don't like the shirt, as I believe I once had one that was rather similar, it's just the immediate head rush looking at it brings on to those of our era. For all the nostalgia we've seen for that time period recently, nobody seems to want to bring back THAT particular fashion...
Mark said…
I like the new format. I mentioned upon return to blogging, that I was going to be changing mine also...but I haven't due to my fear of wiping the entire blog out of existence.

That picture is just too adorable.
It had to be all downhill from that point. C'mon let's see the sad shell of your former self that you have become.

Mark G.
TT said…
The new format looks good, but I guess I would have to say so since it's similar to what I've been using.

I have some work to do on my template, though, as I want to try to get rid of the "Read More" link on the short posts, especially if there are no comments (and thus, no "More" to "Read). As far as I can tell, though, that'll require me to embed a URL in the message rather than have it generated automatically.

Kalen and Kathy gloat because Livejournal does this for them automatically.
Mike Norton said…
Yeah, the set of templates remains fairly basic, so most of them are fairly similar. I finally got over the fear of an editing error collapsing the entire format (something I've had happen on some other web pages), copied the old code into a file for safety, and started making changes.

I put the split format into my basic style sheet so it's there for all my new posts and haven't bothered trying to fix the older ones. That way, if I ever do make a one or two-line post, I can just cut it out up-front and that post will appear as they used to.
Anonymous said…
Ehhhh...not much difference to my eyes, I'm afraid. Sorry.

And I'm still not sure that my own website couldn't do without a whole lot of reworking myself.

Yours,

Dwight in Ottawa

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes