Icons: 5 weeks out from the next Heroclix Set

Much of the info on the set - a small set showcasing heroes and villains from DC Comics, which is to become the new base set for DC Comics characters in Heroclix, has been released as of this week. September 7th or 8th appears to be the release date. The current issue of IQ Gamer has run all of the images, along with opening click stats for each of the vets and the uniques. (These can be seen here, or if that site's been swamped and collapsed, they're available as a zipped file here.)

As has been the case for me with every set since Xplosion, I placed an advance order for this set - Icons - shortly after it was announced.

Honestly, I'm underwhelmed by the set.

We've already had three previews of the uniques from this set -- of which there will only be six: First was Lex Luthor, decked out in 70's armor, next was Terra, and then on Tuesday they unveiled Braniac, who drew some initial oohs and ahhhs, some speculation about replacement TAs for DC sets, and not much else. While I wouldn't refuse any of those three, I don't believe I'll be missing out on much if I don't happen to get them.

It's a small set - 60 pieces, 6 of them in the starter. As mentioned, it's the new DC base set, so it'll be around for a while, so there's no rush that I can see. This is even more the case as I see the uniques being of limited interest. If I'm going to find myself playing at venues I'll be buying and opening some packs there. If New Guy Night (about two thirds down that page) and some of the other promotional pushes they're planning brings in enough new players, they'll likely be heavy with extras from these newer sets and anxious to trade for favorite characters from older sets -- which I have to excess.

This might turn out to be the first case order I'll cancel. I can cancel right up until the day before they ship, so there's time to watch for more details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes