Random fragments on a Saturday morning

Bad idea: Capping off a long work week by getting into a ridiculously long discussion of the war in Iraq with someone whose primary source of information is FOX News and Rush Limbaugh after hours at work. Worse is when another dittohead walks in and starts enthusiastically giving the call and/or refrain to each of the talking points that have so obviously been drilled into both of them. Worse still: Realizing that in a better year I would have been sitting around, having drinks, burgers and brots at Tim & Ellen's place in Aurora as this is the weekend of the Chicago Comic Convention. I know that Grant and his son will be hitting the convention today, too, which will make for a different experience. Wizard's control giving each of these events an increasingly "McCon" feel -- which I could see might be argued as a good thing -- but if they really want this convention to regain quite the glory spot it once had in the fan community and grow they need to get it out of godforsaken Rosemont. Yes, it's near the airport, but it's 17 miles from downtown Chicago and in a fairly inhospitable area. If one's not inside the convention he'll have to drive to find something to really get any sense of being in Chicago. At least the Philly event is right in the thick of Philadelphia, with plenty to see and many choices of spots to get something to eat and decompress away from the press of the crowd in the convention itself.

I was originally going to start a new, smaller still, final wave of Heroclix auctions last night. While I did get all the selections made, the auction text assembled and image links lined up, but by that point it was just a little later on a Friday night than I wanted the auctions to be ending next week. I don't trust the drawing power of Saturday nights for these items on eBay these days, so I'll begin those Sunday night instead. I have the last of the previous Clix auctions to get out to the post office this morning, as that one was paid by a money order.

Crypt Leak anbd Abbygal are having their big yard sale today, a week later than I'd mistakenly thought last week, so they have that adventure already underway. I'll catch the war stories of haggling, suburban marauders during the week from C.L., I'm sure, and for full effect I'll get it from A. next weekend when I come by to get a china cabinet they have set aside for me.

Late zine work this weekend, too, so that I can get that out Monday for the August issue. Too much else to do, too.

I'm off!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tease of Things I Don't Need

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes