A good, forward-thinking idea. Unfortunately, I expect greed to do it in.


An AP piece about something in the planning stages for my own back yard, Philadelphia, was sent to me this morning. (Thanks again -- all together now -- Tammy, for the link!) The piece is good not only for the speculations about Philly but details of other places across the country that have already or are soon to implement something similar.

Philadelphia is having budget problems as businesses and people have moved out to avoid the rising taxes and decreasing services... which has, as you'd expect, exacerbated the situation. Creating a tech-friendly environment could work considerably towards getting and keeping both businesses and people.

My expectation, however, is that not only will the $10 million estimate for establishing the network prove to be much lower (especially as it's a near certainty that it will involve union laborers) but many hands will be in the pie. Also, I'm not sure what penetration Comcast has in the city these days (I'm an unapolagetic suburbanite, only venturing into Philly for special events or when I absolutely must), but I suspect they'll be less than warm to the idea unless they can get a piece of it -- after all, those wireless relays have to tie in somewhere.

As mentioned, I think the core idea is excellent - if vague. I wish them the best with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need