This little piggy is an offense to Allah!

Seemingly feeling they're in a contest for silliest religious objections, Turkey has thrown Winnie the Pooh off its public TV station.

Why?

Piglet.

They reportedly tried cutting Piglet's scenes at first, but he was in too many of them.

Seriously, what someone thought was the harm in little Piglet is beyond me. Were they afraid a friendly, somewhat effeminate cartoon pig was going to around the appetites of Turkish children?

Oh, how about a cartoon instead?

Comments

Mike Norton said…
I was happy to have run across your blog, especially at such an early point. Sometimes taking those random tours of blogs pays off.

The story about the show being pulled is one of those ones I went back looking for a counter-piece somewhere -- there's so much biased reporting after all -- though it's difficult to imagine a good excuse for this. It was either done or it wasn't. That someone would feel moved as a point of theology to choke off something as positive and affirming as at least the original tales from the Hundred Acre Wood were stuns me.
Jodi said…
oh come on....
winnie the pooh? really?
you don't get much more innocuous than that...
i LOVE winnie the pooh.
although i'm mostly like rabbit, and my ex-husband, he's eeyore.
good post.
Tony Collett said…
I recall reading years ago they did the same thing with The Muppet Show for the same reason. In this instance, Miss Piggy.
Mike Norton said…
HG: I suspect there has to be a quiz out there to tell people which character from Winnie the Pooh they are...

Tony: Bizarre! What should they care what a frog eats? ;D
Jodi said…
tony - loud groan over the Miss Piggy joke!
(laugh)
Mike Norton said…
Ah, Shaffiq! I suspected it might go that way. I didn't wait or look long enough to find that piece.

Popular posts from this blog

Oct.13-19 - More Returns and Changes

The Tease of Things I Don't Need